UPWIND blade materials & geomtry

Discuss material properties, analysis, and testing.

Moderator: Bonnie.Jonkman

Eneko.Agirre
Organization: IK4-Ikerlan

UPWIND blade materials & geomtry

Postby Eneko.Agirre » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:20 am

Hi everybody,

First of all congratulations for this forum, it is very useful. I am studying the deflection failure on the wind turbine blades. I have done some analysis in a concrete blade, but I'm thinking about doing the analysis of another blades. The name of the blade is:

UPWIND blade (5MW)

I have the grometry of the blade, but I haven't found the materials. It is supposed that the materials are in this article:

R. Nijssen, G.D.de Winkel, J.M. Peeringa. WMC5MW laminate lay-out of reference blade for WP3. Upwind Integrated Wind Turbine Design, 2007.

I would greatly appreciate if you could help me findin it or another way to obtain the materials.

Thank you very much in advance,

Eneko
Last edited by Eneko.Agirre on Thu May 30, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason.Jonkman

Re: UPWIND blade materials

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Dear Eneko,

The UpWind 5-MW reference turbine is based on the NREL 5-MW baseline wind turbine, but the NREL 5-MW specifications as published by NREL do not contain the detailed composite layup and material properties.

I have heard of Nijssen’s paper, but I’ve not seen it available in the public domain (and I don’t have a copy myself).

There is a question regarding the NREL 5-MW blade here on our forum: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=379. In one of the posts, I gave a link to a Sandia report that talks about groups that have reverse-engineered the composite layup and material properties based on the specified mass and stiffness distributions.

I suggest you contact the authors of these studies to find the data you are seeking. If you find the information, please post a copy.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Eneko.Agirre

Postby Eneko.Agirre » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:55 am

Ok, thank you. I will ask them

Eneko.Agirre

Postby Eneko.Agirre » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:27 am

Hi guys,

this is a very useful link where you could find interesting information about Upwind blade materials and another interesting information!

http://www.upwind.eu/publications/3-rot ... rials.aspx

I found there very interesting information, hope you enjoy it

Eneko Agirre

Return to “Materials”