DTU 10MW Turbine

This forum if for discussing controls. Questions about how to implement controls in FAST are more appropriate to the CAE Tools forum.

Moderator: Bonnie.Jonkman

Marie.Féron
Organization: DORIS Engineering

DTU 10MW Turbine

Postby Marie.Féron » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:02 am

Dear All,

Once again, I come back with my questions about negative damping... I am using the DTU 10 MW Turbine (http://dtu-10mw-rwt.vindenergi.dtu.dk) in a coupled model between FAST and OrcaFlex. The platform is a classic semi-submersible (Pitch Period = 20s). I tried several control properties :
- the control files issued from dtu-10mw website,
- the control file issued from "Basic DTU Wind Energy controller" (Hansen, Morten Hartvig; Henriksen, Lars Christian),
- the control file issued from dtu-10mw website with the low-pass filter from ServoDyn,
- the control file issued from dtu-10mw website with the KI gains from the OC3 Project (desperate attempt).
I have negative damping in each case.

I am surprised about these results because I thought the DTU control system was taking into account the floating aspect.

So here is my question: do you think that I am doing this wrong, or is it a classic issue (and are you used to tune your control systems when creating a new model)?

Best Regards,

Cheng.Zhang
Organization: ECN

Re: DTU 10MW Turbine

Postby Cheng.Zhang » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:04 am

Dear Marie,

Hello, I can't open your link, and I am not familiar with DTU 10 MW Turbine, but as far as I know, the smallest controller response natural frequency must be lower than the smallest support-structure natural frequency to avoid the negative damping.
For example, you used the PI gains of OC3 with spar platform, and you applied it to DTU 10 MW Turbine with semi-submersible. These two platforms may have a different natural frequency, you have to tune the controller gains to ensure the smallest controller response natural frequency lower than the smallest support-structure natural frequency.

Best regards,
Cheng

Return to “Controls”