Adding additional Nacelle IMUs

Provide feedback, request enhancements, and get help with wind-turbine computer-aided engineering tools.

Moderators: Bonnie.Jonkman, Jason.Jonkman

Thomas.Enevoldsen
Organization: Technical University of Denmark

Adding additional Nacelle IMUs

Postby Thomas.Enevoldsen » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:45 am

Hi all,

Using the values, NcIMUxn, NcIMUyn and NcIMUzn, I am able to position the IMU as desired. Though, the turbine setup I am mimicking has multiple IMUs located on the Nacelle. Reviewing the various documentations and manuals provides me with no further information regarding adding the additional IMUs, other than rearranging the existing one.

My current implementation/work-around for the implementation of additional IMUs is performing multiple simulations using the same wind-field, but with various IMU locations. This unfortunately increases the simulation time drastically by increasing the amount of IMUs.

Therefore I was wondering whether there is the possibility of adding multiple IMUs, similar to how it is possible to add multiple wind measurements? I apologise if I have overlooked something in the documentation which explains this.

I really appreciate all help.

Best regards,

Thomas Enevoldsen

Jason.Jonkman

Re: Adding additional Nacelle IMUs

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:15 am

Dear Thomas,

There is no built-in option to enable multiple nacelle IMU outputs in the ElastoDyn module of FAST / OpenFAST. Of course, you could change the source code and recompile if needed.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Return to “Computer-Aided Engineering Software Tools”