Challenges in designing TMD controller

This forum if for discussing controls. Questions about how to implement controls in FAST are more appropriate to the CAE Tools forum.

Moderator: Bonnie.Jonkman

Mehdi.Baghaee
Organization: self

Challenges in designing TMD controller

Postby Mehdi.Baghaee » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi Jason,
We are trying to control the terrestrial NREL-5MW's tower fore-aft vibrations through a kind of Tuned Mass and Damper (TMD) tool. You know there are blade pitch and generator torque controllers, which may be coupled with our TMD and worsen the performance.
What do you recommend to design and verify our TMD controller? Should we neglect your designed pitch and torque controllers from the model and investigate our TMD controller lonely? Or we must verify our controller in the presence of your or other complicated controllers?
What if the terrestrial turbine be replaced by an offshore one?

Jason.Jonkman

Re: Challenges in designing TMD controller

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:52 am

Dear Mehdi,

The objective of the torque and pitch controller is the regulate the rotor speed whereas I suspect the objective your TMD is to damping the tower vibrations, so, I would think you would need to verify your TMD together with the controller (otherwise, the rotor speed would not be regulated when verifying the TMD). Is the TMD active or passive? If active, you'll have to decide if the TMD controller and pitch/torque controller are designed in one single controller or are independent control loops.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Return to “Controls”