NREL 5-MW reference turbine - CP, CQ, CT Coefficients

Discuss the theory and modeling of rotor aerodynamics.

Moderator: Bonnie.Jonkman

Jason.Jonkman

Re: NREL 5-MW reference turbine - CP, CQ, CT Coefficients

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Dear Mustafa,

Just a few comments:

As discussed in the following topic on our forum, WT_Perf is no longer supported by NREL, but has been effectively replaced by the standalone driver for AeroDyn v15: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1038&p=7036.

As far as I can tell, your results are quite close to those of WT_Perf and because you are using a different high-induction correction; perhaps that explains some of the differences you are seeing. AeroDyn v15--and it sounds like your code--replace the subiterations for axial and tangential induction with a single iteration covering both; perhaps this explains some of the differences in the windmill state. Regardless, though, I would not be too considered with your BEM implementation. You could compare your results to those of AeroDyn v15 if you wanted another set of results.

WT_Perf, like the standalone driver for AeroDyn v15, does not include structural weight/inertia terms.

I can’t comment on specific releases of WT_Perf; you’d have to look at the source-code changes between releases to answer your related questions.

There should not be imaginary numbers resulting from the Glauert/Buhl correction, as the correction is not applied for cases beyond the bounds of the equation's validity.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Mustafa.Sahin
Organization: Middle East Technical University

Postby Mustafa.Sahin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:06 am

Dear Jonkman,

Thank you for your valuable comments on my questions.

Again, thank you so much.

Yours sincerely

Mustafa SAHIN

Huseyin.Can.Onel
Organization: METU

Postby Huseyin.Can.Onel » Sun May 13, 2018 4:56 am

Mr Jonkman,
I am running some incompressible CFD simulations of NREL 5MW reference turbine using Actuator Line method, solving RANS equations with k-epsilon model. Power and torque values I obtain for the same conditions are consistently a bit lower than results you present using FAST software. I know it can be related to my code, but I wonder does the FAST code model the blade to blade interaction, i.e. the flow is solved in the rotational plane (in the angular direction), or does it use a simpler method like Blade Element Momentum Theory?
Regards,
Hüseyin

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon May 14, 2018 6:39 am

Dear Hüseyin,

Yes, the AeroDyn aerodynamics module of FAST uses the Blade Element/Momentum Theory.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Rocio.Torres
Organization: X1WIND

Postby Rocio.Torres » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:41 am

Hi all,

I am looking to obtain CP(TSR, Beta) and CT (TSR, Beta) surfaces for the 5MW reference offshore wind turbine in a similar way as Jason and Rannam did with WT_perf back in 2012 but for a wider range of TRS and pitch values. From what I've read through different threads of the forum WT_perf is no longer distributed, but I still should be able to do a similar analysis using Aerodyn V15 standalone driver somehow. I would like to obtain an output with a similar format to that attached by Jason in his post from Mar 06, 2012. Problem is I am new to the use of FAST and Aerodyn and I don't quite know how to configure the input file to establish the desired value ranges, or even if that is possible.
Does someone have and example input template for that or can help me in any way?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Rocío

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:14 am

Dear Rocio,

The standalone AeroDyn driver input file can be set up to run multiple cases for different wind speeds (WndSpeed), rotor speeds (RotSpd), and pitch angles (Pitch) via the "Combined-Case Analysis" options. You can include the rotor aerodynamic power and torque in the AeroDyn output file by including "RtAeroCp" and "RtAeroCt" in the output list (OutList) in the AeroDyn primary input file. Simply run multiple cases and take the time- (or, preferably, azimuth-) averaged torque to find the RtAeroCp and RtAeroCt as a function of WndSpeed, RotSpd, and Pitch (or RtTSR).

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Rocio.Torres

Postby Rocio.Torres » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:04 am

Dear Jason,

Thank you for your answer.
Doing as you say, I would have to define a row for each simulation, fully specifying all of the wind speed, rotor speed and pitch values. And I get I would be obtaining an output file corresponding to each of these rows (containing the time-series information for each chosen output sensor), which given the number of simulations I would have to run to cover the value ranges I want, would be tough to post-process. I wonder if there is a way to run a parametric analysis, giving in the input file the direct ranges (e.g Pitch from -5 to 5 deg with a delta increment value of 1 deg --> -5.0, 5.0,1.0 ) and obtain a single output file where I could find the tables with Cp/Ct values for each pair of wind speed and rotor speed, 1 table per pitch (Just the same as the output file that was obtained with WT_perf and that you posted on the 6th of March of 2012). If there is not, I will have to do as you propose.

Thank you again in advance.
Best regards,

Rocío

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:32 am

Dear Rocio,

No, the standalone AeroDyn driver is not set up to run a parametric analysis that generates one output file for multiple cases. I would think a simple script could be written to do this, but I don't have one I can send you. The key is that the output from standalone AeroDyn for each case is a time series--and what you want is the mean of this time series (or preferably the azimuth average), resulting in one value of RtAeroCp and RtAeroCt for each case. If you have MATLAB, the MCrunch post-processor could be used to calculate these mean values, or you could write your own script to do that.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Rocio.Torres

Postby Rocio.Torres » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:01 am

Dear Jason,

Ok, I understand that, thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
Rocío

Huseyin.Can.Onel
Organization: METU

Postby Huseyin.Can.Onel » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:01 am

Hello again,
I've been working on NREL-5MW wind turbine and there is something bugging me. This turbine is rated at wind speed = 11.4m/s and TSR = 7 (as stated here: https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy09osti/38060.pdf) for 5MW of power. Examining the document and assuming this is an offshore wind turbine, considering the air density as 1.225 kg/m^3, Cp at design conditions is 0.44. When I observe in Mr. Jonkman and Mr. Chaaban's results, higher Cp is achieved at even lower wind speeds. I am also getting higher values using RANS-ALM methodology. Now I might be wrong but AeroDyn and FAST are used to obtain results in that document. I am not sure what I'm missing in the consistency here. I am also having a hard time finding reliable experimental or numerical results on this turbine in journals or papers.
Some data I have found:
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.10 ... 082003/pdf
https://brage.bibsys.no/xmlui/bitstream ... sAllowed=y (this paper also refers to this forum)
Other sources you might come across would be extremely valuable, as well as your ideas on the matter I've mentioned.
Best regards,
Hüseyin

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:26 am

Dear Hüseyin,

I'm not sure I understand your concern, but I would expect a maximum aerodynamic Cp of the NREL 5-MW wind turbine to be around 0.48 in region 2 using blade-element/momentum (BEM) theory. Of course, some power is lost in the mechanical-to-electrical conversion (generator efficiency), so, the effective electrical Cp would be less.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Etienne.Jargot
Organization: COPA-DATA

Postby Etienne.Jargot » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:10 am

Dear Jason,

I computed the thrust coefficient vs wind speed with the stand alone Aerodyn V15.
The results are shown below.
Does the results seem coherent?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Etienne JARGOT
Attachments
CTvsWIND.PNG
CTvsWIND.PNG (9.02 KiB) Viewed 7740 times

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:17 am

Dear Etienne,

Yes, your results look like what I would expect for the NREL 5-MW turbine.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Jon.Martinez
Organization: Tekniker

Postby Jon.Martinez » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:20 am

Dear Jason,

In the post I am citing bellow, Rannam Chaaban asked you about the values to set for parameters in SIMPLE VARIABLE-SPEED TORQUE CONTROL.

As you answered in your reply, I would also expect to give VS_Rgn2K a value of 0.0255764 and VS_SlPc a value of 10.

Nevertheless, I do not understand why should VS_RtGnSp be the 99% of rated HSS speed.

As far as I understand, that point (wGen = 1162 rpm) in the torque curve corresponds to a higher torque value (43528.84 Nm). This was recently discussed in the following post: https://wind.nrel.gov/forum/wind/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2381&p=13550#p13550.

Therefore, I would expect VS_RtGnSp to be the rated generator speed: 1173.7 rpm, which would correspond to the rated torque of 43093.55 Nm.

Here I put a summary of the values that I would expect:

---------------------- SIMPLE VARIABLE-SPEED TORQUE CONTROL --------------------
1173.7 VS_RtGnSp
43093.55 VS_RtTq
0.0255764 VS_Rgn2K
10 VS_SlPc
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are these values OK?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Jon Martínez Rico

Rannam.Chaaban wrote:Dear Jason,

I've used the same DOF you mentioned in your excel file. which means: All DOFs enabled except GenDOF and DrTrDOF (of course TeetDOF = False).
Regarding the wake, I've used the same setting provided by the baseline 5MW files, which means: InfModel = EQUIL & IndModel = SWIRL.
Here are my FAST and Aerodyn files
FAST File for TSR=5, BlPitch = +1 deg, and Wind speed = 8m/s.

Code: Select all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------- FAST INPUT FILE --------------------------------------------------------
NREL 5.0 MW Baseline Wind Turbine for Use in Offshore Analysis.
Properties from Dutch Offshore Wind Energy Converter (DOWEC) 6MW Pre-Design (10046_009.pdf) and REpower 5M 5MW (5m_uk.pdf); Compatible with FAST v6.0.
---------------------- SIMULATION CONTROL --------------------------------------
False       Echo        - Echo input data to "echo.out" (flag)
   1        ADAMSPrep   - ADAMS preprocessor mode {1: Run FAST, 2: use FAST as a preprocessor to create an ADAMS model, 3: do both} (switch)
   1        AnalMode   - 1 Analysis mode {1: Run a time-marching simulation, 2: create a periodic linearized model} (switch)
   3        NumBl       - Number of blades (-)
 200.0      TMax        - Total run time (s)
   0.0125   DT          - Integration time step (s)
---------------------- TURBINE CONTROL -----------------------------------------
   0        YCMode      - Yaw control mode {0: none, 1: user-defined from routine UserYawCont, 2: user-defined from Simulink} (switch)
9999.9      TYCOn       - Time to enable active yaw control (s) [unused when YCMode=0]
   0        PCMode      - Pitch control mode {0: none, 1: user-defined from routine PitchCntrl, 2: user-defined from Simulink} (switch)
   0.0      TPCOn       - Time to enable active pitch control (s) [unused when PCMode=0]
   1        VSContrl    - Variable-speed control mode {0: none, 1: simple VS, 2: user-defined from routine UserVSCont, 3: user-defined from Simulink} (switch)
1800        VS_RtGnSp   - Rated generator speed for simple variable-speed generator control (HSS side) (rpm) [used only when VSContrl=1]
8376.58     VS_RtTq     - Rated generator torque/constant generator torque in Region 3 for simple variable-speed generator control (HSS side) (N-m) [used only when VSContrl=1]
0.002585    VS_Rgn2K    - Generator torque constant in Region 2 for simple variable-speed generator control (HSS side) (N-m/rpm^2) [used only when VSContrl=1]
9999.9      VS_SlPc     - Rated generator slip percentage in Region 2 1/2 for simple variable-speed generator control (%) [used only when VSContrl=1]
   2        GenModel    - Generator model {1: simple, 2: Thevenin, 3: user-defined from routine UserGen} (switch) [used only when VSContrl=0]
True        GenTiStr    - Method to start the generator {T: timed using TimGenOn, F: generator speed using SpdGenOn} (flag)
True        GenTiStp    - Method to stop the generator {T: timed using TimGenOf, F: when generator power = 0} (flag)
9999.9      SpdGenOn    - Generator speed to turn on the generator for a startup (HSS speed) (rpm) [used only when GenTiStr=False]
   0.0      TimGenOn    - Time to turn on the generator for a startup (s) [used only when GenTiStr=True]
9999.9      TimGenOf    - Time to turn off the generator (s) [used only when GenTiStp=True]
   1        HSSBrMode   - HSS brake model {1: simple, 2: user-defined from routine UserHSSBr} (switch)
9999.9      THSSBrDp    - Time to initiate deployment of the HSS brake (s)
9999.9      TiDynBrk    - Time to initiate deployment of the dynamic generator brake [CURRENTLY IGNORED] (s)
9999.9      TTpBrDp(1)  - Time to initiate deployment of tip brake 1 (s)
9999.9      TTpBrDp(2)  - Time to initiate deployment of tip brake 2 (s)
9999.9      TTpBrDp(3)  - Time to initiate deployment of tip brake 3 (s) [unused for 2 blades]
9999.9      TBDepISp(1) - Deployment-initiation speed for the tip brake on blade 1 (rpm)
9999.9      TBDepISp(2) - Deployment-initiation speed for the tip brake on blade 2 (rpm)
9999.9      TBDepISp(3) - Deployment-initiation speed for the tip brake on blade 3 (rpm) [unused for 2 blades]
9999.9      TYawManS    - Time to start override yaw maneuver and end standard yaw control (s)
9999.9      TYawManE    - Time at which override yaw maneuver reaches final yaw angle (s)
   0.0      NacYawF     - Final yaw angle for yaw maneuvers (degrees)
9999.9      TPitManS(1) - Time to start override pitch maneuver for blade 1 and end standard pitch control (s)
9999.9      TPitManS(2) - Time to start override pitch maneuver for blade 2 and end standard pitch control (s)
9999.9      TPitManS(3) - Time to start override pitch maneuver for blade 3 and end standard pitch control (s) [unused for 2 blades]
9999.9      TPitManE(1) - Time at which override pitch maneuver for blade 1 reaches final pitch (s)
9999.9      TPitManE(2) - Time at which override pitch maneuver for blade 2 reaches final pitch (s)
9999.9      TPitManE(3) - Time at which override pitch maneuver for blade 3 reaches final pitch (s) [unused for 2 blades]
  +1.0      BlPitch(1)  - Blade 1 initial pitch (degrees)
  +1.0      BlPitch(2)  - Blade 2 initial pitch (degrees)
  +1.0      BlPitch(3)  - Blade 3 initial pitch (degrees) [unused for 2 blades]
   0.0      B1PitchF(1) - Blade 1 final pitch for pitch maneuvers (degrees)
   0.0      B1PitchF(2) - Blade 2 final pitch for pitch maneuvers (degrees)
   0.0      B1PitchF(3) - Blade 3 final pitch for pitch maneuvers (degrees) [unused for 2 blades]
---------------------- ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS --------------------------------
   9.80665  Gravity     - Gravitational acceleration (m/s^2)
---------------------- FEATURE FLAGS -------------------------------------------
True        FlapDOF1    - First flapwise blade mode DOF (flag)
True        FlapDOF2    - Second flapwise blade mode DOF (flag)
True        EdgeDOF     - First edgewise blade mode DOF (flag)
False        TeetDOF     - Rotor-teeter DOF (flag) [unused for 3 blades]
False        DrTrDOF     - Drivetrain rotational-flexibility DOF (flag)
False        GenDOF      - Generator DOF (flag)
True        YawDOF      - Yaw DOF (flag)
True        TwFADOF1    - First fore-aft tower bending-mode DOF (flag)
True        TwFADOF2    - Second fore-aft tower bending-mode DOF (flag)
True        TwSSDOF1    - First side-to-side tower bending-mode DOF (flag)
True        TwSSDOF2    - Second side-to-side tower bending-mode DOF (flag)
True        CompAero    - Compute aerodynamic forces (flag)
False        CompNoise   - Compute aerodynamic noise (flag)
---------------------- INITIAL CONDITIONS --------------------------------------
   0.0      OoPDefl     - Initial out-of-plane blade-tip displacement (meters)
   0.0      IPDefl      - Initial in-plane blade-tip deflection (meters)
   0.0      TeetDefl    - Initial or fixed teeter angle (degrees) [unused for 3 blades]
   0.0      Azimuth     - Initial azimuth angle for blade 1 (degrees)
6.06882     RotSpeed    - (TSR = 5, WndSpd = 8m/s) Initial or fixed rotor speed (rpm)                             [12.1]
   0.0      NacYaw      - Initial or fixed nacelle-yaw angle (degrees)
   0.0      TTDspFA     - Initial fore-aft tower-top displacement (meters)
   0.0      TTDspSS     - Initial side-to-side tower-top displacement (meters)
---------------------- TURBINE CONFIGURATION -----------------------------------
  63.0      TipRad      - The distance from the rotor apex to the blade tip (meters)
   1.5      HubRad      - The distance from the rotor apex to the blade root (meters)
   1        PSpnElN     - Number of the innermost blade element which is still part of the pitchable portion of the blade for partial-span pitch control [1 to BldNodes] [CURRENTLY IGNORED] (-)
   0.0      UndSling    - Undersling length [distance from teeter pin to the rotor apex] (meters) [unused for 3 blades]
   0.0      HubCM       - Distance from rotor apex to hub mass [positive downwind] (meters)
  -5.01910  OverHang    - Distance from yaw axis to rotor apex [3 blades] or teeter pin [2 blades] (meters)
   1.9      NacCMxn     - Downwind distance from the tower-top to the nacelle CM (meters)
   0.0      NacCMyn     - Lateral  distance from the tower-top to the nacelle CM (meters)
   1.75     NacCMzn     - Vertical distance from the tower-top to the nacelle CM (meters)
  87.6      TowerHt     - Height of tower above ground level [onshore] or MSL [offshore] (meters)
   1.96256  Twr2Shft    - Vertical distance from the tower-top to the rotor shaft (meters)
   0.0      TwrRBHt     - Tower rigid base height (meters)
  -5.0      ShftTilt    - Rotor shaft tilt angle (degrees)
   0.0      Delta3      - Delta-3 angle for teetering rotors (degrees) [unused for 3 blades]
  -2.5      PreCone(1)  - Blade 1 cone angle (degrees)
  -2.5      PreCone(2)  - Blade 2 cone angle (degrees)
  -2.5      PreCone(3)  - Blade 3 cone angle (degrees) [unused for 2 blades]
   0.0      AzimB1Up    - Azimuth value to use for I/O when blade 1 points up (degrees)
---------------------- MASS AND INERTIA ----------------------------------------
   0.0      YawBrMass   - Yaw bearing mass (kg)
 240.00E3   NacMass     - Nacelle mass (kg)
  56.78E3   HubMass     - Hub mass (kg)
   0.0      TipMass(1)  - Tip-brake mass, blade 1 (kg)
   0.0      TipMass(2)  - Tip-brake mass, blade 2 (kg)
   0.0      TipMass(3)  - Tip-brake mass, blade 3 (kg) [unused for 2 blades]
2607.89E3   NacYIner    - Nacelle inertia about yaw axis (kg m^2)
 534.116    GenIner     - Generator inertia about HSS (kg m^2)
 115.926E3  HubIner     - Hub inertia about rotor axis [3 blades] or teeter axis [2 blades] (kg m^2)
---------------------- DRIVETRAIN ----------------------------------------------
 100.0      GBoxEff     - Gearbox efficiency (%)
  94.4      GenEff      - Generator efficiency [ignored by the Thevenin and user-defined generator models] (%)
  97.0      GBRatio     - Gearbox ratio (-)
False       GBRevers    - Gearbox reversal {T: if rotor and generator rotate in opposite directions} (flag)
  28.1162E3 HSSBrTqF    - Fully deployed HSS-brake torque (N-m)
   0.6      HSSBrDT     - Time for HSS-brake to reach full deployment once initiated (sec) [used only when HSSBrMode=1]
            DynBrkFi    - File containing a mech-gen-torque vs HSS-speed curve for a dynamic brake [CURRENTLY IGNORED] (quoted string)
 867.637E6  DTTorSpr    - Drivetrain torsional spring (N-m/rad)
   6.215E6  DTTorDmp    - Drivetrain torsional damper (N-m/(rad/s))
---------------------- SIMPLE INDUCTION GENERATOR ------------------------------
9999.9      SIG_SlPc    - Rated generator slip percentage (%) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=1]
9999.9      SIG_SySp    - Synchronous (zero-torque) generator speed (rpm) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=1]
9999.9      SIG_RtTq    - Rated torque (N-m) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=1]
9999.9      SIG_PORt    - Pull-out ratio (Tpullout/Trated) (-) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=1]
---------------------- THEVENIN-EQUIVALENT INDUCTION GENERATOR -----------------
9999.9      TEC_Freq    - Line frequency [50 or 60] (Hz) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9998        TEC_NPol    - Number of poles [even integer > 0] (-) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9999.9      TEC_SRes    - Stator resistance (ohms) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9999.9      TEC_RRes    - Rotor resistance (ohms) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9999.9      TEC_VLL     - Line-to-line RMS voltage (volts) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9999.9      TEC_SLR     - Stator leakage reactance (ohms) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9999.9      TEC_RLR     - Rotor leakage reactance (ohms) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9999.9      TEC_MR      - Magnetizing reactance (ohms) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
---------------------- PLATFORM ------------------------------------------------
   0        PtfmModel   - Platform model {0: none, 1: onshore, 2: fixed bottom offshore, 3: floating offshore} (switch)
            PtfmFile    - Name of file containing platform properties (quoted string) [unused when PtfmModel=0]
---------------------- TOWER ---------------------------------------------------
  20        TwrNodes    - Number of tower nodes used for analysis (-)
"common/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Tower_Onshore.dat"          TwrFile     - Name of file containing tower properties (quoted string)
---------------------- NACELLE-YAW ---------------------------------------------
9028.32E6   YawSpr      - Nacelle-yaw spring constant (N-m/rad)
  19.16E6   YawDamp     - Nacelle-yaw damping constant (N-m/(rad/s))
   0.0      YawNeut     - Neutral yaw position--yaw spring force is zero at this yaw (degrees)
---------------------- FURLING -------------------------------------------------
False       Furling     - Read in additional model properties for furling turbine (flag)
            FurlFile    - Name of file containing furling properties (quoted string) [unused when Furling=False]
---------------------- ROTOR-TEETER --------------------------------------------
   0        TeetMod     - Rotor-teeter spring/damper model {0: none, 1: standard, 2: user-defined from routine UserTeet} (switch) [unused for 3 blades]
   0.0      TeetDmpP    - Rotor-teeter damper position (degrees) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
   0.0      TeetDmp     - Rotor-teeter damping constant (N-m/(rad/s)) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
   0.0      TeetCDmp    - Rotor-teeter rate-independent Coulomb-damping moment (N-m) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
   0.0      TeetSStP    - Rotor-teeter soft-stop position (degrees) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
   0.0      TeetHStP    - Rotor-teeter hard-stop position (degrees) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
   0.0      TeetSSSp    - Rotor-teeter soft-stop linear-spring constant (N-m/rad) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
   0.0      TeetHSSp    - Rotor-teeter hard-stop linear-spring constant (N-m/rad) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
---------------------- TIP-BRAKE -----------------------------------------------
   0.0      TBDrConN    - Tip-brake drag constant during normal operation, Cd*Area (m^2)
   0.0      TBDrConD    - Tip-brake drag constant during fully-deployed operation, Cd*Area (m^2)
   0.0      TpBrDT      - Time for tip-brake to reach full deployment once released (sec)
---------------------- BLADE ---------------------------------------------------
"common/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Blade.dat"                  BldFile(1)  - Name of file containing properties for blade 1 (quoted string)
"common/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Blade.dat"                  BldFile(2)  - Name of file containing properties for blade 2 (quoted string)
"common/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Blade.dat"                  BldFile(3)  - Name of file containing properties for blade 3 (quoted string) [unused for 2 blades]
---------------------- AERODYN -------------------------------------------------
"BL5MW_AeroDyn.ipt"                ADFile      - Name of file containing AeroDyn input parameters (quoted string)
---------------------- NOISE ---------------------------------------------------
            NoiseFile   - Name of file containing aerodynamic noise input parameters (quoted string) [used only when CompNoise=True]
---------------------- ADAMS ---------------------------------------------------
"common/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_ADAMSSpecific.dat"          ADAMSFile   - Name of file containing ADAMS-specific input parameters (quoted string) [unused when ADAMSPrep=1]
---------------------- LINEARIZATION CONTROL -----------------------------------
"common/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Linear.dat"                 LinFile     - Name of file containing FAST linearization parameters (quoted string) [unused when AnalMode=1]
---------------------- OUTPUT --------------------------------------------------
True        SumPrint    - Print summary data to "<RootName>.fsm" (flag)
True        TabDelim    - Generate a tab-delimited tabular output file. (flag)
"ES10.3E2"  OutFmt      - Format used for tabular output except time.  Resulting field should be 10 characters. (quoted string)  [not checked for validity!]
   0.0      TStart      - Time to begin tabular output (s)
   8        DecFact     - Decimation factor for tabular output {1: output every time step} (-)
   1.0      SttsTime    - Amount of time between screen status messages (sec)
  -3.09528  NcIMUxn     - Downwind distance from the tower-top to the nacelle IMU (meters)
   0.0      NcIMUyn     - Lateral  distance from the tower-top to the nacelle IMU (meters)
   2.23336  NcIMUzn     - Vertical distance from the tower-top to the nacelle IMU (meters)
   1.912    ShftGagL    - Distance from rotor apex [3 blades] or teeter pin [2 blades] to shaft strain gages [positive for upwind rotors] (meters)
   0        NTwGages    - Number of tower nodes that have strain gages for output [0 to 9] (-)
            TwrGagNd    - List of tower nodes that have strain gages [1 to TwrNodes] (-) [unused if NTwGages=0]
   0        NBlGages    - Number of blade nodes that have strain gages for output [0 to 9] (-)
1,2,5,9,13  BldGagNd    - List of blade nodes that have strain gages [1 to BldNodes] (-) [unused if NBlGages=0]
            OutList     - The next line(s) contains a list of output parameters.  See OutList.txt for a listing of available output channels, (-)
"HorWindV"                                               - HorWindV
"RotSpeed"                                               - Rotor Speed
"GenSpeed"                                               - high-speed shaft speeds
"BldPitch1"                                              - Blade 1pitch angle
"TSR"                                                    - Tip Speed Ratio
"RotPwr"                                                 - Rotor Power
"RotCp"                                                  - Rotor Power Factor
"GenPwr"                                                 - Generator Power
"GenCp"                                                  - Generator Power factor
"RotThrust"                                              - Rotor Thrust
"RotCt"                                                  - Rotor Thrust coeffecient
"RotTorq"                                                - Rotor Torque
"RotCq"                                                  - Rotor Torque Coeffecient
"NacYaw"                                                 - Nacelle Yaw                       
END of FAST input file (the word "END" must appear in the first 3 columns of this last line).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AeroDyn.ipt file

Code: Select all

NREL 5.0 MW offshore baseline aerodynamic input properties; Compatible with AeroDyn v12.58.
SI          SysUnits    - System of units for used for input and output [must be SI for FAST] (unquoted string)
STEADY     StallMod    - BEDDOES Dynamic stall included [BEDDOES or STEADY] (unquoted string)
USE_CM      UseCm       - Use aerodynamic pitching moment model? [USE_CM or NO_CM] (unquoted string)
EQUIL       InfModel    - Inflow model [DYNIN or EQUIL] (unquoted string)
SWIRL       IndModel    - Induction-factor model [NONE or WAKE or SWIRL] (unquoted string)
   0.005    AToler      - Induction-factor tolerance (convergence criteria) (-)
PRANDtl     TLModel     - Tip-loss model (EQUIL only) [PRANDtl, GTECH, or NONE] (unquoted string)
PRANDtl     HLModel     - Hub-loss model (EQUIL only) [PRANdtl or NONE] (unquoted string)
"WindData\BL5MW_Cp_8mps.hh"                                         WindFile    - Name of file containing wind data (quoted string)   BL_5MW_OnShore-18_2mps
  90.0      HH          - Wind reference (hub) height [TowerHt+Twr2Shft+OverHang*SIN(ShftTilt)] (m)
   0.0      TwrShad     - Tower-shadow velocity deficit (-)
9999.9      ShadHWid    - Tower-shadow half width (m)
9999.9      T_Shad_Refpt- Tower-shadow reference point (m)
   1.225    AirDens     - Air density (kg/m^3)
   1.464E-5 KinVisc     - Kinematic air viscosity [CURRENTLY IGNORED] (m^2/sec)
   0.02479  DTAero      - Time interval for aerodynamic calculations (sec)
   8        NumFoil     - Number of airfoil files (-)
"AeroData\Cylinder1.dat"                         FoilNm      - Names of the airfoil files [NumFoil lines] (quoted strings)
"AeroData\Cylinder2.dat"
"AeroData\DU40_A17.dat"
"AeroData\DU35_A17.dat"
"AeroData\DU30_A17.dat"
"AeroData\DU25_A17.dat"
"AeroData\DU21_A17.dat"
"AeroData\NACA64_A17.dat"
  17        BldNodes    - Number of blade nodes used for analysis (-)
RNodes   AeroTwst  DRNodes  Chord  NFoil  PrnElm
 2.8667  13.308    2.7333   3.542  1      NOPRINT
 5.6000  13.308    2.7333   3.854  1      NOPRINT
 8.3333  13.308    2.7333   4.167  2      NOPRINT
11.7500  13.308    4.1000   4.557  3      NOPRINT
15.8500  11.480    4.1000   4.652  4      NOPRINT
19.9500  10.162    4.1000   4.458  4      NOPRINT
24.0500   9.011    4.1000   4.249  5      NOPRINT
28.1500   7.795    4.1000   4.007  6      NOPRINT
32.2500   6.544    4.1000   3.748  6      NOPRINT
36.3500   5.361    4.1000   3.502  7      NOPRINT
40.4500   4.188    4.1000   3.256  7      NOPRINT
44.5500   3.125    4.1000   3.010  8      NOPRINT
48.6500   2.319    4.1000   2.764  8      NOPRINT
52.7500   1.526    4.1000   2.518  8      NOPRINT
56.1667   0.863    2.7333   2.313  8      NOPRINT
58.9000   0.370    2.7333   2.086  8      NOPRINT
61.6333   0.106    2.7333   1.419  8      NOPRINT

However, I've a question regarding the provided settings for the Simple VS (VSContrl = 1), this will make use of the following 4 parameters (VS_RtGnSp, VS_RtTq, VS_Rgn2K, VS_SlPc). I think these given data are for the 1.5MW, and they should be changed to

VS_RtGnSp = 12.1 [rpm, rated rotor speed] * 97 (gearbox ratio) *0.99 (99% of rated HSS speed) = 1162 rpm
VS_RtTq = 43093.55 [N.m]
VS_Rgn2K = 0.018 (see note later)
VS_SlPc = 11.4807 (see note later)

The calculations of these parameters are made in analogous way to what is done in http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CEMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nrel.gov%2Fdocs%2Ffy08osti%2F42437.pdf&ei=UNBhT9OhKIOJ4gTC2rj0Bw&usg=AFQjCNGQL7BdILolfTKVrF5YHHpr-NGnKg pages 22-25.

Of course, these values will not affect the results obtained from FAST (as GenDOF = False).

Best regards
Rannam Chaaban.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:41 am

Dear Jon,

The simple variable-speed controller in the ServoDyn module of FAST v8 or OpenFAST cannot fully represent the characteristics of the baseline NREL 5-MW turque speed curve. This is because the simple variable-speed controller does not include Regions 1 and 1.5 and because Region 3 is considered using constant torque, rather than the constant power used in the NREL 5-MW baseline controller. I had recommend setting VS_RtGnSp equal to 99% of the actual rated speed of 1173.7 to ensure that the synchronous speed for Region 2.5 (i.e., 0.99*1173.7/(1+0.1) = 1056.33 rpm) was identical in both models. Also setting the rated speed right at the transition speeds between Regions 2.5 and 3 tends to cause problems in the blade-pitch controller.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Return to “Rotor Aerodynamics”