Instructions for Compiling FAST

Provide feedback, request enhancements, and get help with wind-turbine computer-aided engineering tools.

Moderators: Bonnie.Jonkman, Jason.Jonkman

Adrian.Gambier
Organization: Fraunhofer IWES

Re: Instructions for Compiling FAST

Postby Adrian.Gambier » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:37 am

Thank you Bonnie for your answer,

I am now trying to compile FAST and all libraries,
and I am receiving a couple of error from Linker of the type

Obj_win64/NWTC_LAPACK.obj:NWTC_LAPACK.f90:(.text+0xc4): undefined reference to `spptrf_'
Obj_win64/NWTC_LAPACK.obj:NWTC_LAPACK.f90:(.text+0x3f4): undefined reference to `dpptrf_'

Do you have any idea, where could be the problem? I guess my compiled Lapack library is not correct but I am not sure.

Best regards
Adrian

Bonnie.Jonkman
Organization: Envision Energy USA

Postby Bonnie.Jonkman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:08 am

Those two routines that the linker can't find should be in the LAPACK library. So, I would guess that either the linker isn't finding your compiled library or the library doesn't contain those two routines [at least not with arguments the way they are being called in NWTC_LAPACK.f90].
Bonnie Jonkman

Envision Energy USA, 2016-
National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2003-2016

Adrian.Gambier
Organization: Fraunhofer IWES

Postby Adrian.Gambier » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:28 am

Thank you for the answer.
Yes, this was also my presumption. Actually, these messages are produced for all routines of Lapack but they are for sure in the compiled library. Probably, it was something wrong during the generation of the library. Thank again.
Best regards

Ignacio.Trojaola
Organization: self

Postby Ignacio.Trojaola » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:52 am

Hello,

I am trying to compile FAST v8 with Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and Intel Fortran Compiler. The matter is that when building the project this 3 error appear.

1>C:\Users\itrojaola\Documents\FAST V8\Source\dependencies\ElastoDyn\ElastoDyn.f90(11140): error #6633: The type of the actual argument differs from the type of the dummy argument. [TEETDEF]
1>C:\Users\itrojaola\Documents\FAST V8\Source\dependencies\ElastoDyn\ElastoDyn.f90(11140): error #6633: The type of the actual argument differs from the type of the dummy argument. [TEETRATE]
1>compilation aborted for C:\Users\itrojaola\Documents\FAST V8\Source\dependencies\ElastoDyn\ElastoDyn.f90

What do I have to do in order to solve this?

Thanks in advance
Regards

Bonnie.Jonkman

Postby Bonnie.Jonkman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:50 am

Hi, Ignacio.

FAST 8.12 had a problem with some arguments in the user-defined subroutines. If you replace UserSubs.f90 in the ServoDyn source code with this one, it should hopefully get rid of these problems.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Bonnie Jonkman

Ignacio.Trojaola

Postby Ignacio.Trojaola » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:38 am

Dear Bonnie,

I have already changed the source code of UserSubs.f90 in ServoDyn. Unfortunately, now I get another different error.

1>C:\Users\itrojaola\Desktop\Karpeta berria\Source\dependencies\ServoDyn\UserSubs.f90(1): error #5078: Unrecognized token '?' skipped
1>C:\Users\itrojaola\Desktop\Karpeta berria\Source\dependencies\ServoDyn\UserSubs.f90(1): error #5078: Unrecognized token '?' skipped
1>compilation aborted for C:\Users\itrojaola\Desktop\Karpeta berria\Source\dependencies\ServoDyn\UserSubs.f90 (code 1)

Could it be that something went wrong while copying and pasting the source code that you gave me?
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Ignacio

Ignacio.Trojaola

Postby Ignacio.Trojaola » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:18 am

I finally solve it. I copy the new source code and paste it in NotePad++ file. Then, I create a txt file with that document and transform it a a .f90 file.

Daniel.Wu
Organization: Virginia Tech

Postby Daniel.Wu » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:28 pm

Hi Bonnie,

I am new to compiling a Fortran code, so I follow closely to the compiling instruction. I uses Visual Studio 2015 and Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 to compile FAST.

I finally able to get "FAST_dev_Win32.exe". However, when I tried to run a test input,I received a error message "FAST encountered an error during module initialization. Simulation error level: FATAL ERROR".

The Buildinglog are mostly warning not errors.
The first error is "TargetPath(C:\FAST\bin\FAST_Project.exe) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (C:\FAST\bin\FAST_dev_Win32.exe). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).
Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 16.0 [IA-32]..."

I dont know how to fix it and I am not sure the warning will cause problem in compiling since the instruction does not mention this.

I am not sure I successfully compiled FAST or the way I specify the input is wrong.

Please let me know how to correctly compile FAST....

Thank you...

Please see the attachment for the picture .

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (110.22 KiB) Viewed 5064 times
Daniel Wu
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, June 2017
Graduate Research Assistant
danielw5@vt.edu

Michael.A.Sprague
Organization: NREL

Postby Michael.A.Sprague » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:54 am

Dear Daniel,

Please check the details of the path for the file Test01_ElastoDyn.dat. For example, that forward slash should be a backward slash in the input file, and make sure the input file is where you specify it is.

Best,
Mike

Daniel.Wu
Organization: Virginia Tech

Postby Daniel.Wu » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:40 am

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your help. I successfully solve the issue. The compiling process is correct, but I did not place the input file in the proper directory.
Daniel Wu
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, June 2017
Graduate Research Assistant
danielw5@vt.edu

Bonnie.Jonkman

Postby Bonnie.Jonkman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:08 pm

Daniel,

Daniel.Wu wrote:
The first error is "TargetPath(C:\FAST\bin\FAST_Project.exe) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (C:\FAST\bin\FAST_dev_Win32.exe). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).
Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 16.0 [IA-32]..."

The first warning you receive is because the Visual Studio project in the FAST archive is for an older version of the Intel Fortran compiler integrations than what you are using. It is mostly harmless, but as you found out, it will put the output file in Visual Studio's default location instead of the FAST/bin folder. If you want to get rid of this warning, you can change use the default linker OutputFile and just change the TargetName in the project properties.

Windows doesn't care if you use forward or backward slashes in the input file path names, so I'd recommend you not change those. (We set them so they can work on both Windows or Mac/Linux.)

I'd personally just change the path to the executable and not move input files, but that really just comes down to personal preference.
Bonnie Jonkman

David.Kolodziej
Organization: RWTH Aachen

Postby David.Kolodziej » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:24 am

Hallo Mr. Jonkman,

I am new to compiling FAST. First I only want to create the Fast execuable file to get used to compiling. I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and Fast V7. I followed the instructions of the FASTCompilinginstructions.pdf step by step! But as soon as I start building the project there are several errors and warings. This is the Output:

1>------ Build started: Project: FAST, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 16.0 [IA-32]...
1>SingPrec.f90
1>AeroMods.f90
1>SysIVF.f90
1>NWTC_SharedDataTypes.f90
1>NWTC_IO.f90
1>NWTC_Num.f90
1>NWTC_Aero.f90
1>NWTC_Library.f90
1>SharedInflowDefs.f90
1>GenSubs.f90
1>CTWind.f90
1>HHWind.f90
1>SharedTypes.f90
1>UserWind.f90
1>FFTMod.f90
1>HydroCalc.f90
1>FFWind.f90
1>HAWCWind.f90
1>FDWind.f90
1>InflowWindMod.f90
1>AeroSubs.f90
1>AeroDyn.f90
1>FAST_Mods.f90
1>BladedDLLInterface.f90
1>Noise.f90
1>FAST_IO.f90
1>FAST.f90
1>FAST_Lin.f90
1>FAST2ADAMS.f90
1>C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\SimulinkFASTSC\Fast_v7.01.00\FAST2ADAMS.f90(3974): error #6460: This is not a field name that is defined in the encompassing structure. [INDX]
1>C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\SimulinkFASTSC\Fast_v7.01.00\FAST2ADAMS.f90(3974): error #6460: This is not a field name that is defined in the encompassing structure. [SIGNM]
1>compilation aborted for C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\SimulinkFASTSC\Fast_v7.01.00\FAST2ADAMS.f90 (code 1)
1>SetVersion.f90
1>AeroCalc.f90
1>UserSubs.f90
1>PitchCntrl_ACH.f90
1>FAST_Prog.f90
1>C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\SimulinkFASTSC\Fast_v7.01.00\FAST_Prog.f90(18): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [FAST2ADAMSSUBS]
1>compilation aborted for C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\SimulinkFASTSC\Fast_v7.01.00\FAST_Prog.f90 (code 1)
1>UserVSCont_KP.f90
1>fftpack.f
1>
1>Build log written to "file://C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\SimulinkFASTSC\DesignCodes\FAST\FAST\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>FAST - 5 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I dont really find my mistake! I hope you can help me!

Best regard,

David

Bonnie.Jonkman

Postby Bonnie.Jonkman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:28 am

The errors about INDX and SIGNM not being part of the encompassing structure indicate to me that you are probably using FAST_Mods.f90 from FAST 7.00.x or earlier and FAST2ADAMS.f90 from FAST 7.01.x or later. Make sure all of the source files you are compiling come from the same release.
Bonnie Jonkman

David.Kolodziej
Organization: RWTH Aachen

Postby David.Kolodziej » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:40 am

Hello Mr.Jonkman,

I was able to compile the FastSC.exe. In a next step, I am trying to compile the FAST S-funktion for Simulink! In my understanding I just need to add the provided FASTGateway.f90 and the FASTSimulink.f90 data to the sources folder of Microsoft Visual Studio. But if I do so, I get the following errors:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error Compilation Aborted (code 1) C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 1
Error Compilation Aborted (code 1) C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTSimulink.f90 1
Error error #6362: The data types of the argument(s) are invalid. [REAL] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 242
Error error #6362: The data types of the argument(s) are invalid. [TRIM] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 296
Error error #6362: The data types of the argument(s) are invalid. [TRIM] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 297
Error error #6362: The data types of the argument(s) are invalid. [TRIM] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 507
Error error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type. [INT2LSTR] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 296
Error error #6633: The type of the actual argument differs from the type of the dummy argument. [TIME] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTSimulink.f90 373
Error error #6683: A kind type parameter must be a compile-time constant. [MXDB] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 52
Error error #6683: A kind type parameter must be a compile-time constant. [MXDB] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 75
Error error #6683: A kind type parameter must be a compile-time constant. [MXDB] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 77
Error error #6683: A kind type parameter must be a compile-time constant. [MXDB] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 80
Error error #6683: A kind type parameter must be a compile-time constant. [MXDB] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 89
Error error #6683: A kind type parameter must be a compile-time constant. [MXDB] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 94
Error error #6683: A kind type parameter must be a compile-time constant. [MXDB] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 106
Error error #6683: A kind type parameter must be a compile-time constant. [MXDB] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 107
Error error #6683: A kind type parameter must be a compile-time constant. [MXDB] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 123
Error error #6683: A kind type parameter must be a compile-time constant. [MXDB] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 242
Error error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [FAST_SIMULINK_MOD] C:\Users\david.kolodziej\Desktop\Compiling\FAST-SC_Simulink\Sim_v.7.01.00\FASTGateway.f90 40

Do I need to make some changes to these files or maybe add them to another path?

Best Regards,

David

Bonnie.Jonkman

Postby Bonnie.Jonkman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:07 am

When you compile the FAST v7 interface for Simulink, the source code actually gets compiled inside Matlab (because you are actually compiling a DLL that includes Matlab libraries). Please see the make_FAST_SFunc.m script in the Simulink/Source folder of the FAST v7 archive. There are some comments at the top of that file to help you get started.

If you want to use Visual Studio, you can compile the majority of FAST as a library and then link with that library in the make_FAST_SFunc script, but we do not have the resources to help you figure that out.
Bonnie Jonkman

Return to “Computer-Aided Engineering Software Tools”