National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)NREL HomeInnovation for Our Energy Future

Problem running MBC3

Provide feedback, request enhancements, and get help with wind-turbine computer-aided engineering tools.

Moderators: Marshall.Buhl, Jason.Jonkman

Problem running MBC3

Postby Matthias.Taubert » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:20 am

Hello,

I did run the model linearization mode in FAST and recieved *.lin file for my turbine model.
If I now try to compute the model frequencies using MBC3, I do get the following error message.

"*** There are no rotating states. MBC transformation, therefore, cannot be performed."

The model which I linearized got only the 4 tower modes enabled. Is there any kind
of oppertunity to compute the 4 frequencies of this model using MBC3.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Matthias
Matthias.Taubert

Re: Problem running MBC3

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Dear Matthias,

The mbc3.m script that comes with the MBC3 toolset can only be used if you have a system with some states in the rotating frame. If you want to analyze a system with all states in the fixed frame, you can use the cce.m script supplied with the MBC3 toolset. The cce.m script performs the eigenanalysis directly on the azimuth-averaged state matrix, AvgAMat (regardless of whether or not the system has states in the rotating frame). This is perfectly suitable for a system with only states in the fixed frame. (For a system with some states in the rotating frame, the cce.m script employs the constant-coefficient-approximation eigenanalysis.)

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway
Golden, CO. 80401
United States of America
Phone: +1 (303) 384 - 7026
Fax: +1 (303) 384 - 6901
Jason.Jonkman

Re: Problem running MBC3

Postby Matthias.Taubert » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:11 am

Dear Jason,

thanks for your fast response. That was the right hint.

Best regards,

Matthias
Matthias.Taubert

Return to Computer-Aided Engineering Software Tools