Question about Turbsim

Provide feedback, request enhancements, and get help with wind-turbine computer-aided engineering tools.

Moderators: Bonnie.Jonkman, Jason.Jonkman

Tianhui.Liu
Organization: self

Question about Turbsim

Postby Tianhui.Liu » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 pm

Dear all
I am currently studying the response of a wind turbine when wind and ice loads are coupled. I would like to generate my own wind field data using Turbsim, and the detailed procedure is as follows (please point out if you find any errors).
I modified some parameters in the Kaimal.inp file, mainly the grid height, grid width, hub height, reference velocity height and the average wind speed at that location.
Then the wind file read when running is still NRELOffshrBsline5MW_InflowWind_12mps.dat,Windtype3, but the wind field file read inside becomes my own Kaimal.bts.
Kaimal设置.png
Kaimal设置.png (90.01 KiB) Viewed 286 times

But when I run it, I get an error, it tells me that the Mach number exceeds 1
报错图片.png
报错图片.png (135.94 KiB) Viewed 286 times

Best regards,
Tianhui

Jason.Jonkman

Re: Question about Turbsim

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:32 am

Dear Tianhui,

I also see many high angle of attack warnings along the blade very close to the start of the simulation. This suggests to me that your controller is not functioning as expected or the model has gone numerically unstable.

Did you change anything in the OpenFAST model of the NREL 5-MW baseline turbine? Have you set the initial conditions of rotor speed and blade-pitch angle properly? (These should be set to their expected (mean) values associated with the mean wind speed you are simulating.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Tianhui.Liu
Organization: self

Postby Tianhui.Liu » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:48 pm

Dear Jonkman

After some debugging, I was able to run the program successfully. But there is still a similar error reported.
1.png
1.png (60.38 KiB) Viewed 251 times

I have set the initial rotor speed based on the average wind speed (both are set according to "Definition of a 5-MW Reference Wind Turbine for Offshore System Development")However, I don't know how to set the blade-pitch angle.

Incidentally, I set the average wind speed of 4m/s, which is slightly greater than the cut-in wind speed, and the initial rotor speed is the cut-in speed

Best regards,
Tianhui

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:43 am

Dear Tianhui.Liu,

I don't see any errors--in fact the simulation terminated normally--but there are still many warnings about large angle of attack, which again suggests to me that your controller is not functioning properly or your initial conditions are not set as properly. The expected (mean) values of the rotor speed and blade-pitch angles, from which the initial conditions should be set, can be found in Figure 9-1 of the NREL 5-MW baseline wind turbine specification document you referenced. At 4 m/s mean wind speed, this should mean you should set RotSpeed = 7.2 rpm and BlPitch(1-3) = 0.0deg in ElastoDyn.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Mazi.Daghighi
Organization: University

Postby Mazi.Daghighi » Sun May 02, 2021 10:55 pm

Dear Sir,
I am new in this forum. I am looking for Turbsim software, but unfortunately I couldn't find it. Would you please instruct me in this issue?
Many thanks in advance.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon May 03, 2021 6:40 am

Dear Mazi,

The last version of TurbSim before our NWTC Information Portal crashed (TurbSim v2.00.07a-bjj) is available on my Google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eCvgoO ... sp=sharing.

Even newer versions of TurbSim are available in the OpenFAST repository on github: https://github.com/OpenFAST/openfast. However, a precompiled binary executable for Windows is not provided here; when using this repository, you you must compile TurbSim yourself using the source code provided.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Mazi.Daghighi
Organization: University

Postby Mazi.Daghighi » Fri May 07, 2021 11:02 pm

Dear Jason,
Thanks for your reply.
Regards

Return to “Computer-Aided Engineering Software Tools”