How do I run OpenFAST

Provide feedback, request enhancements, and get help with wind-turbine computer-aided engineering tools.

Moderators: Bonnie.Jonkman, Jason.Jonkman

Andre.White
Organization: University of Plymouth

How do I run OpenFAST

Postby Andre.White » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:42 am

Dear Jason:

Continuing the conversation from the post about the natural frequency of DeepCWind.

I have installed the Intel FORTRAN compiler and Visual C++. I have also installed the binaries and the r-test folder for openfast. I had Python installed already. However, I do not know how to run openfast. I have looked at a few of the discussions in the forum but did not find anything yet that specifically spoke to this. I have the following questions:
1) In the r-test folder there are two subfolders, modules and glue-codes. Glue-codes contains the information for the various floaters etc. However, I do not see any Python file. I was of the opinion that python is required to run openfast? Am I missing any files/folders?
2) What is the command to run openfast? I suspect that it might be similar to fastv8 so it might be "openfast [filename.fst]".
3) Also when running openfast is the only requirement to ensure that I am executing from the correct folder similar to fastv8? Again this points back to question 1 about the link to python.

In essence I am trying to run one of the cases.

Thank you.

Regards,
AOAW

Jason.Jonkman

Re: How do I run OpenFAST

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:47 pm

Dear Andre,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1) Python is not needed to run OpenFAST, but it can be used for scripting and post-processing if you want to use that. For example, there is a Python script in the archive that can be used to automate the process to run of the r-test simulations and compare the results to the baselines generated by NREL. See the OpenFAST documentation here for more information: https://openfast.readthedocs.io/en/main ... _test.html.
2) You can run the OpenFAST executable just like you ran the FAST v8 executable on Windows. Your syntax is correct. This is described more in my post dated Aug 7, 2020 in the following issue from the OpenFAST github site: https://github.com/OpenFAST/openfast/issues/434. If you are using the precompiled binary Windows executable, you'll need to install the redistributable libraries from Intel before running this executable, as documented (https://openfast.readthedocs.io/en/main ... index.html) and discussed recently on issues: https://github.com/OpenFAST/openfast/issues/663.
3) The OpenFAST executable (and corresponding MAP++ DLL) can be installed in a directory whose path is an environment variable, which would allow it to be placed in a location independent from your OpenFAST input files. Otherwise, you could place the OpenFAST executable in the same directory as the OpenFAST input file.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Andre.White

Postby Andre.White » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:06 am

Hi Jason:
Many thanks. I am up and running.
I have another query though. I could not locate the servodyn .dll files for openfast, DISCON_OC3Hywind.dll etc. I copied DISCON_OC3Hywind_x64.dll for FASTv8 and changed the file name and that worked. This is my query

1) Have any changes been made to the original .dll files in FASTvs8 and if so, where can I find the new ones? Otherwise, I will assume it is fine to amend the file names for the others as required.

Thank you.

Regards,
AOAW

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:00 am

Dear Andre,

Precompiled versions of these DISCON DLLs are included in the zip archive with each release, along with the precompiled OpenFAST executables, here: https://github.com/OpenFAST/openfast/releases. But these are unchanged from FAST v8, so, using the old ones from FAST v8 is fine too. Of course you can also compile them from the source code and compile scripts provided in the OpenFAST github repository.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Andre.White

Postby Andre.White » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:13 am

Thanks Jason.
Yes the OpenFast .dll files were included. I was looking in the wrong folder for them.

Regards,
AOAW

Return to “Computer-Aided Engineering Software Tools”