Help running FAST v8 for the first time

Provide feedback, request enhancements, and get help with wind-turbine computer-aided engineering tools.

Moderators: Bonnie.Jonkman, Jason.Jonkman

Suni.Kar
Organization: self

Re: Help running FAST v8 for the first time

Postby Suni.Kar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:01 am

Dear Friends,
As per the information given in the "read me fast" document, paraview software was installed. but vizualization could not be seen after getting output for TEST01.fast under certest folder.

whether VTK-type files will be generated or where can i find in fast files directory?

Thank you

Karthikeyan

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:27 am

Dear Karthikeyan,

Did you tell FAST to generate VTK files by setting WrVTK from the FAST primary input file (Test01.fst) to 1 or 2 before running the simulation?

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Mahmoud.Mousavi
Organization: National Taiwan University

Postby Mahmoud.Mousavi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:01 am

Dear all

I am a Ph.D. student at National Taiwan University and trying to use the latest version of FAST (FAST_v8_64) to simulate an offshore wind turbine. This is my first time I am going to use this code. I have already read these PDF files 1- Installing NWTC CAE Tools on PCs Running Windows® 2- FAST User’s Guide 3- FAST v8.16.00a-bjj. Please anyone can help me about the followings (in our group we totally have no experience about it):

1- Does FAST have any user interface environment or no it is working with the windows command line? In other words, can we, for example, use MATLAB Simulink to work with FAST or no we should code somewhere (where?!)?

2- I still cannot run the FAST; I am confused, we should run the FAST with MATLAB or windows command (cmd)? I tried to run it with cmd, I faced an error.

3- Please if anyone has done an example with FAST, I will be very happy if can send it to me (musavi6889@yahoo.com) so I can see and learn from your simulation.

Looking forward to any helps. Thank you all.

Mahmoud.Mousavi

Postby Mahmoud.Mousavi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:49 am

Dear All,

I've resolved my problem by copying the "AWT27" folder to the "bin" folder; which means when I put the "FAST_x64", "Test01.fst", and "AWT27" all together in the "bin" folder, then the cmd ran without error.

"FAST terminated normally."

*** My next question is how I can use the outputs? Especially I would like to visualize them. If anyone has any experience please share with me. I have ParaView as well. Thank you all.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:46 am

Dear Mahmoud,

I'm happy to hear that you are finally able to run FAST. Instead of moving Test01.fst and the AWT27 directory to the bin directory, you could also copy the FAST_x64.exe file from the bin to the CertTest directory.

You can plot the time series e.g. through MCrunch or a more simple plotting script.

To visualize the wind turbine response through animation e.g. in ParaView will require that you enable the visualization functionality of FAST through the primary FAST input file. See the FAST v8 ReadMe file for more information on the visualization functionality of FAST v8: https://wind.nrel.gov/nwtc/docs/README_FAST8.pdf.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Mahmoud.Mousavi

Postby Mahmoud.Mousavi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Dear Dr. Jonkman,

Thank you for your reply. The FAST 8 readme file says if WrVTK > 0, then it'll generate some files which I can use them in ParaView (am I understanding right?). I'm a bit confused, how I can set WrVTK > 0 since I am just typing sth like "FAST_x64 Test01.fst" at cmd? In other words, should I change sth in the "Test01.fst" file (if yes how)?!! if no, can you please guide me? Thank you.

Lena.Hery
Organization: Eolink

Postby Lena.Hery » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:13 am

Dear all,

I am trying to use FAST_v8.16 for the first time. I have used FAST_v8.15 on a previous computer (64 bits Windows) to model a floating wind turbine. Since I have a new machine (again 64 bits Windows), I have now installed FAST_v8.16. I have several questions about this subject.

1)
When I launch the CertTest, it runs correctly. In the CertTest.out file, some little differences appear between the previous and new tests:
- Test 2: Test02.ED.sum: Rotor Inertia (41755.992 VS 41755.984 kg.m²)
- Test 3: Test03.ED.sum: Rotor Inertia (41755.992 VS 41755.984 kg.m²)
- Test 5: Test05.ED.sum: Rotor Inertia (41755.992 VS 41755.984 kg.m²)
- Test 6: Test06.AD.sum: description of the twist, chord, etc. + tip-loss constant and hub-loss constant: hub-loss constant different in the elements 4 and 7 ([12.55715 VS 12.55714] and [24.58929 VS 24.58928])
The rest is OK. Is it normal or is there a problem?

2)
Then, I have tried to go on using these previous files (used with FAST_v8.15) with this new version. I have added the section "Linearization" in the .fst file. Is there another place where I should modify something in my previous files?

3)
When I use a previous file with the modification of Linearization, an error message appears: "The dll “DISCON_rect1_gwin64.dll” could not be loaded. Check that the file exists in the specified location and that it is compiled for 64-bit applications"
I have checked that this file exists at the correct location. I had compiled the .dll file on the former computer using "make -f makefile_DISCON_DLL". In makefile_DISCON_DLL, we had adapted the code to be adapted to our 64 bits machine, as presented below:
# 32-bit or 64-bit?
#BITS = 32
BITS = 64
Do you have any idea of the reason of this error message?

4)
I have tried to recompile a .f90 file that had already been compiled on the former machine (using make -f makefile) but I get the following error message:
"‘make’ isn't recognized as an internal or external command, an executable program or a command file" (I hope you'll understand it because I have to translate the message in english). Do you know where this might come from? I might have misunderstood something in the Compiling instructions (Compiling FAST v8.15.00a-bjj). I have tried to install a Fortran compiler but I'm not sure that it runs correctly.

That's a lot to ask, I hope you'll be able to help me with these different subjects.
Best regards,
Léna

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:58 am

Dear Mahmoud,

Yes, the WrVTK input parameter is specified in the Test01.fst file. As with any FAST input file, open up the file in any text editor, make the desired changes, save, and run FAST with the updated input file(s).

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:06 am

Dear Lena,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1) The differences you are reporting sound like small numerical round-off due e.g. to differences contributed to the optimizer when the source code has changed. I would not expect these differences to impact the results to engineering accuracy.

2) The FAST v8 ReadMe file explains how the input file(s) have changed between FAST v8.15 and FAST v8.16 (see the section titled "Changes in FAST v8.16.00a-bjj"): https://wind.nrel.gov/nwtc/docs/README_FAST8.pdf. You can also use the provided MATLAB conversion scripts to update your input files automatically.

3/4) Unfortunately, I have no experience using make files; hopefully some else on this forum can comment.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Lena.Hery
Organization: Eolink

Postby Lena.Hery » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:49 am

Dear Jason,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that the issue isn't related to the differences when I run CertTest.
I will go on looking for the solution.

Best regards,
Léna

Mahmoud.Mousavi

Postby Mahmoud.Mousavi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:24 am

Dear Dr. Jonkman,

Thank you very much. With your helpful comment, I could make an animation for the Test01 file by ParaView software. Dr. Jonkman, at this juncture I am able to run FAST at cmd, open Test01 and see the animation of the wind turbine. Now I want to simulate my own 3-blade offshore wind turbine with my specific wave and wind conditions. How can I use FAST to do that? Is it like I should write an input file from beginning by myself (if yes is there any PDF to teach how to do this) or no I can use one of your example input files, like "Test??.fst" and then I can modify the wave, wind, and the structure of the wind turbine there?

Dr. Jonkman, we, in the Civil Eng. Dept. of NTU, are very hopeful to learn FAST and apply it in my Ph.D. research for the first time. Thank you for your valuable comments.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:12 am

Dear Mahmoud,

I would take the FAST CertTest model (set of FAST input files) that best matches your system and modify those input files accordingly. (The FAST CertTest models are described in the Certification Tests section of the FAST v8 ReadMe file.)

The FAST documentation is a bit scrambled at the moment. But each input file of FAST is described in the various User's Guide that have been provided e.g.:
I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Mahmoud.Mousavi

Postby Mahmoud.Mousavi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 am

Dear All,

I was trying to run "Test20.fst" with "FAST_v8.16.00a-bjj". At cmd I typed "fast_x64 Test20.fst", the same way I've successfully run "Test01.fst", but I got an error there! My PC-windows is 64-bit, though next time I typed "FAST_win32 Test20.fst" then it terminated normally. BUT, when I'm opening "Test20.outb" or "Test20.SFunc.outb" in a text file, there are all strange letters like "¤%¤þ×%¿ÔÍZÝ‹)Ñ©ó € € € ^éÏ € €ú«:Ò×÷U*ê¾ €". Any idea how I can fix this problem?

Thank you all.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:27 am

Dear Mahmoud,

Test20.fst will trigger an error regarding in inability to load the 32-bit DLL controller when running with the 64-bit executable. You can eliminate that error by referencing the 64-bit DLL in the ServoDyn input file. You can run either the 32-bit or 64-bit executable on a 64-bit computer.

The *.outb files are output files stored in a binary (non human-readable) format. You can process the data in post-processors adopted to read such data, such as MCrunch, MExtremes, MLife, or the MATLAB toolbox. Or you can change the output to be in text format by changing the setting in the FAST primary (*.fst) input file (but text-based output files are about 4-times as large as binary output files for the same data).

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Logan.Johnston
Organization: NCPV

Postby Logan.Johnston » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:52 pm

I found the FAST v8.12 ReadMe file to be helpful for this. Try the "Normal Simulation: Starting FAST" section.

Did you figure this one out? :P

Return to “Computer-Aided Engineering Software Tools”