Help running FAST v8 for the first time

Provide feedback, request enhancements, and get help with wind-turbine computer-aided engineering tools.

Moderators: Bonnie.Jonkman, Jason.Jonkman

Boma.Kresning
Organization: University of Rhode Island

Re: Help running FAST v8 for the first time

Postby Boma.Kresning » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:54 am

Hi All,

I am trying to use OpenFast for my graduate study. I have downloaded the source code and successfully installed it under Cygwin. Currently, I have several questions about running and testing the program:

1. I checked a post at https://wind.nrel.gov/forum/wind/viewtopic.php?t=1540 and tried the suggested conversion between FAST7 and FAST8. The Matlab code worked out with some warning and I could not run the converted file. I copied the converted files into ~/OpenFAST/build/glue-codes/fast then I use this syntax ./openfast.exe -h NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Floating_OC3Hywind.fst and the program prompted FAST_InitializeAll:The required input file was not specified on the command line. Anybody know how to resolve this? am I missing something in the syntax?

2. I saw in the previous posts and README_FAST8.pdf that there are examples provided in FAST CertTest folder, which I could not find in the github distribution. How can I access these example? I assume those examples were compatible with OpenFast and I can directly run it without conversion.

3. I am trying to set up a simulation of an offshore wind using time series of wind/wave from other models. Is there any similar example from the cert test that I can use as a starting point?

Any suggestion would be very helpful. Thank you.

Regards,
Boma K

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Dear Boma,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Remove the "-h" from the command line call i.e. type, "./openfast.exe NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Floating_OC3Hywind.fst".

2. Yes, you don't need to convert yourself any of the NREL-provided models because we update these models ourselves when we change FAST and run the tests. What was called the "CertTest" (certification tests) in FAST v7 and FAST v8 is now called the "r-test" (regression tests) in OpenFAST. The OpenFAST r-test is available here: https://github.com/OpenFAST/r-test.

3. Test_004 and Test_006 from the CertTest of the standalone HydroDyn module are cases with user-defined wave kinematics and wave-elevation time series, respectively. The OpenFAST team is still in the process of migrating all of these module-level CertTests into the OpenFAST r-test. What kind of user wind time history are you referring to e.g. a uniform wind file or a full-field turbulence (TurbSim) file?

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Boma.Kresning

Postby Boma.Kresning » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Dear Dr. Jonkman,

Thank you very much for the instructions now I can run the examples. I have more simple questions if you don't mind:

1. How do I visualize all the structure in the example without running FAST? I am aware that FAST is compatible with ParaView, and able to produce animation through WrVTK options. I am also new to Paraview.

2. For the simulations that I am trying to set, I work with atmospheric-ocean models (WRF-ROMS) and I want to apply wind field from WRF time series output as an input in OpenFast. Is this possible?

Regards,
Boma K

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:08 pm

Dear Boma,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. You can use the visualization functionality of FAST to output either surface or stick-figure geometry for model reference and initial configurations and time-series animation through the generation of VTK output files that can be visualized through e.g. ParaView. See the section titled, "Visualization Toolkit Files (Visualization Capability)" in the FAST v8 ReadMe file for more information: https://wind.nrel.gov/nwtc/docs/README_FAST8.pdf.

2. I'm not familiar with WRF-ROMS, but I'm assuming this model does not generate wind inflow at the high spatial resolution important for running aero-elastic calculations in OpenFAST (e.g. on the order of meters). So to generate equivalent wind time series for FAST would require that e.g. you use the user time series option in TurbSim to read in the WRF-ROMS time-series output at a point (e.g. at the hub) or a few points and use TurbSim to construct the finer resolution wind data based on the user time series provided. See the TurbSim v2.0 documentation for more information: https://nwtc.nrel.gov/alphas.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Hassan.Shehawy
Organization: NWE

Postby Hassan.Shehawy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:56 am

Hi everyone

I'm using FAST for first time. I've complied it in Linux (Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS) and I could run the test files. However, when I try to run it for other models, I get the error below. I guessed it might be the line in which Echo is set, but it's exactly the same between Test_*.fst and the fst file I'm trying to use. Any hint would be much appreciated.
NB: I'm using version 8 and not OpenFast because I'm using it with WISDEM and have to use that version.

Code: Select all

Running FAST (v8.16.00a-bjj, 27-Jul-2016), compiled as a 64-bit application using single
  precision
  linked with NWTC Subroutine Library (v2.09.00, 23-Jul-2016)

FAST_InitializeAll:FAST_Init:FAST_ReadPrimaryFile:Invalid logical input for file
 "NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Monopile_RF.fst" occurred while trying to read Echo.

FAST encountered an error during module initialization.
  Simulation error level: FATAL ERROR

Aborting FAST.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 am

Dear Hassan,

The only way I can think that would generate that error message is if the file NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Monopile_RF.fst is not formatted correctly. It sounds like you checked this already, so, I'm not sure what else to suggest. You could upload the file so that I could take a look.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Hassan.Shehawy

Postby Hassan.Shehawy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:52 am

Dear Jason

Thank you for taking the time to look into my comment and respond. Yes that was my first guess, but since it's my first time using it, I'm not sure about the required format. I've attached the file here (I got an error when I tried to attach it because of the extension, so I just changed it to txt)

Thanks again
Hassan

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:36 am

Dear Hassan,

I don't see that you attached the file. Can you try attaching it again?

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Hassan.Shehawy

Postby Hassan.Shehawy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:58 am

Dear Jason

Sorry for that, maybe I mistakenly clicked on Submit before file was actually uploaded. However, thanks I could figure out where the problem was.

Thanks again
Hassan

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:18 am

I'm glad you solved the problem!
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Boma.Kresning

Postby Boma.Kresning » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi All,

I just re-compiled OpenFAST on my computer this week and currently trying to use OC4Jacket example as my model. OpenFAST is currently installed, however I am getting errors when i am trying to run the provided OC4 example. The errors is in the quote below. The error is not produced when i use CompAero=1 . Any suggestion about this?

FAST_InitializeAll:AD_Init:ReadInputFiles:ReadPrimaryFile:Invalid numerical input for file
"Projects/Jacket/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_OC4Jacket_AeroDyn15.dat" occurred while trying to read
SkewModFactor.
ReadPrimaryFile:Invalid logical input for file
"Projects/Jacket/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_OC4Jacket_AeroDyn15.dat" occurred while trying to read
TIDrag.
ReadPrimaryFile:Invalid numerical input for file
MaxIter.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:47 pm

Dear Boma,

From your error messages, my guess is your AeroDyn primary input file is formatted improperly. As with any input file format problem, I suggest that you use the Echo option from the primary AeroDyn input file to debug errors in the input-file processing.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Boma.Kresning

Postby Boma.Kresning » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:23 pm

Dear Dr. Jonkman,

Thank you for the suggestion. However, I have not changed the provided input. I simply tested the distributed files and it worked with another installation on different computer. Was there an update that might cause this?

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:24 pm

Dear Boma,

I'm not sure. Which FAST archive did you download? What does the use of Echo tell you?

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Boma.Kresning

Postby Boma.Kresning » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Dr. Jonkman,

I downloaded the one posted on github page. Quoted below is the echo from AeroDyn15. I noticed that the provided input from https://github.com/OpenFAST/r-test does not list SkewModFactor. Did I download the outdated example?

This file of echoed input was generated by AeroDyn on 01-Nov-2018 at 14:17:29.

Data from AeroDyn primary input file "Projects/Jacket/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_OC4Jacket_AeroDyn15.dat":

FTitle - File Header: File Description (line 2)
"NREL 5.0 MW offshore baseline aerodynamic input properties with OC4 jacket tower"

T Echo - Echo flag
DTAero - Time interval for aerodynamic calculations {or default} (s)
"DEFAULT"
0 WakeMod - Type of wake/induction model {0=none, 1=BEMT, 2=DBEMT} (-)
1 AFAeroMod - Type of airfoil aerodynamics model {1=steady model, 2=Beddoes-Leishman unsteady model} (-)
1 TwrPotent - Type tower influence on wind based on potential flow around the tower {0=none, 1=baseline potential flow, 2=potential flow with Bak correction} (-)
F TwrShadow - Calculate tower influence on wind based on downstream tower shadow? (flag)
T TwrAero - Calculate tower aerodynamic loads? (flag)
F FrozenWake - Assume frozen wake during linearization? (flag)
F CavitCheck - Perform cavitation check? (flag)

1.2250E+00 AirDens - Air density (kg/m^3)
1.4640E-05 KinVisc - Kinematic air viscosity (m^2/s)
3.3500E+02 SpdSound - Speed of sound (m/s)
1.0350E+05 Patm - Atmospheric pressure (Pa)
1.7000E+03 Pvap - Vapour pressure of fluid (Pa)
5.0000E-01 FluidDepth - Water depth above mid-hub height (MHK only, for cavitation check) (m)

2 SkewMod - Type of skewed-wake correction model {1=uncoupled, 2=Pitt/Peters, 3=coupled} (-) [unused when WakeMod=0]
SkewModFactor - Constant used in Pitt/Peters skewed wake model {or default} (-)
"True"
T TipLoss - Use the Prandtl tip-loss model? (flag) [unused when WakeMod=0]
T HubLoss - Use the Prandtl hub-loss model? (flag) [unused when WakeMod=0]
F TanInd - Include tangential induction in BEMT calculations? (flag) [unused when WakeMod=0]
F AIDrag - Include the drag term in the axial-induction calculation? (flag) [unused when WakeMod=0]
IndToler - Convergence tolerance for BEM induction factors (-) [unused when WakeMod=0]
"100"

Return to “Computer-Aided Engineering Software Tools”