SOWFA Support

Provide feedback, request enhancements, and get help with wind-turbine computer-aided engineering tools.

Moderators: Bonnie.Jonkman, Jason.Jonkman

Bonnie.Jonkman
Organization: Envision Energy USA

Re: SOWFA Support

Postby Bonnie.Jonkman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks, Thomas. We always appreciate when the community helps each other. :)
Bonnie Jonkman

Envision Energy USA, 2016-
National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2003-2016

Thomas.Schulz
Organization: self

Postby Thomas.Schulz » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:31 am

Hello everyone,

I was wondering something ...

The logarithmic windprofile is implemented like this

scalar uStar0 = (kappa * U) / Foam::log(z1 / z0)

but this is only valid for low surface roughness as far as I know.
In cases with terrain it is rarely the case that the roughness
is as low as in offshore cases. With this in mind shouldn't the windprofile
be implemented in a way that takes the roughness into account?

Maybe more like this

scalar uStart0 = (kappa * U) / Foam::log( (z1 -d) / z0)

where d = dislocation height, ranging from (0.4 to 0.8 depending on the
density of the vegetation).

???

Best, Thomas

Bonnie.Jonkman

Postby Bonnie.Jonkman » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi, Thomas.

Typically z0 represents the surface roughness, so I think the implemented equation is correct. (It's also the same equation used in TurbSim with neutral stability.)
Bonnie Jonkman

Feizbakhshi.Morteza
Organization: MAPNA

Make inflow data to use in windPlantSolver in SOWFA

Postby Feizbakhshi.Morteza » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:39 am

Hi
I am working SOWFA and I run precursorABL successfully. after running precursorABL Solver up to quasi equilibrium condition, I run that for extra 2000 sec to get inflow data needed for windPlant Solver. Now I want to take them to windPlant Solver. I read in this forum that in this step, I should run "makeBoundaryDataFiles.south.sh" and "makeBoundaryDataFiles.west.sh", but I can't find them in SOWFA tutorial. I would appreciate if anybody can give me a link to get that.
Another question is that which quantity should be taken from precursorABL to windPlant Solver. In "BoundaryDataPre" which I found in precursorABL tutorial, only U, T, flm and fmm was written to be exported. Is there any need to add extra quantity like pressure or ... to this file or not.
Thank In Advance

Thomas.Schulz
Organization: self

Postby Thomas.Schulz » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:15 am

Dear Morteza,

those scripts seems not to be included in the github archive anymore but I found them in the OffWind github
rep.

Take a look here ...

https://github.com/OffWind/offwind/tree/master/Offwind.App/Offwind.Wpf/Templates/precursorABL/neutral

Best, Thomas

AhmedJenan.Mostafa
Organization: UTSA

Postby AhmedJenan.Mostafa » Wed May 06, 2015 11:49 am

I am also trying to install sowfa in a Linux cluster (Stampede/ TACC). I am using Openfoam 2.2 and the latest SOWFA from github. After running ./Allwclean and the ./Allmake the following error pops out.

windPlantSolverFAST.C(133): error: class "Foam::pimpleControl" has no
member "start"
for (pimple.start(); pimple.loop(); pimple++)
^

windPlantSolverFAST.C(133): error: no operator "++" matches these operands
operand types are: Foam::pimpleControl ++
^

windPlantSolverFAST.C(135): error: class "Foam::pimpleControl" has no
member "nOuterCorr"
if (pimple.nOuterCorr() != 1)
^

windPlantSolverFAST.C(160): error: class "Foam::pimpleControl" has no
member "nCorr"
for (int corr=0; corr<pimple.nCorr(); corr++)
^

In file included from windPlantSolverFAST.C(162):
pEqn.H(24): error #140: too many arguments in function call

p_rghEqn.solve(mesh.solver(p_rgh.select(pimple.finalInnerIter(corr,
nonOrth))));
^

compilation aborted for windPlantSolverFAST.C (code 2)
make: *** [Make/linux64IccDPOpt/windPlantSolverFAST.o] Error 2

Any response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Matthew.Muscato
Organization: Weather Routing Inc

Postby Matthew.Muscato » Thu May 14, 2015 11:14 am

I'm having the same exact problem as AhmedJenan.Mostafa.

AhmedJenan.Mostafa wrote:I am also trying to install sowfa in a Linux cluster (Stampede/ TACC). I am using Openfoam 2.2 and the latest SOWFA from github. After running ./Allwclean and the ./Allmake the following error pops out.

windPlantSolverFAST.C(133): error: class "Foam::pimpleControl" has no
member "start"
^

windPlantSolverFAST.C(133): error: no operator "++" matches these operands
operand types are: Foam::pimpleControl ++
^

windPlantSolverFAST.C(135): error: class "Foam::pimpleControl" has no
member "nOuterCorr"
if (pimple.nOuterCorr() != 1)
^

windPlantSolverFAST.C(160): error: class "Foam::pimpleControl" has no
member "nCorr"
for (int corr=0; corr<pimple.nCorr(); corr++)
^

In file included from windPlantSolverFAST.C(162):
pEqn.H(24): error #140: too many arguments in function call

p_rghEqn.solve(mesh.solver(p_rgh.select(pimple.finalInnerIter(corr,
nonOrth))));
^

compilation aborted for windPlantSolverFAST.C (code 2)
make: *** [Make/linux64IccDPOpt/windPlantSolverFAST.o] Error 2

Any response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

David.Ebner
Organization: Verbund Hydropower AG

Postby David.Ebner » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:49 am

Hi everyone,

I am facing the same problem as Matthew and Ahmed trying to install SOWFA using OpenFOAM 2.3.1.
Did you come up with a solution to this error?

Xiaofei.Li
Organization: Self

Postby Xiaofei.Li » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:07 am

Hello, all

I am trying to install SOWFA in my laptop(Ubuntu 14.04, OpenFOAM 240).
The downloaded "NREL-SOWFA-dec561a.zip" file was extracted and put under the OF240 directory.
But simply running ./Allwmake does not work.

So I followed the commonld in Allwmake step by step.

The first tens of lines worked.
But the "wmake" in "applications/solvers/incompressible/windEnergy/ABLSolver" part failed.
The message shows "fatal error: XXXXXXX.H: No such file or directory"
so I located the XXXXXX.H file and linked it to this directory and do "wmake" again.

This process repeated many times and then some files "AMIInterpolation*.H" were missing
and I do NOT have these files in my computer.
So I googled the file names and found them in https://github.com/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/tree/master/src/meshTools/AMIInterpolation/AMIInterpolation
These 6 files were downloaded and linked to this directory.
And the 'locate-and-link' process repeated several times.
Then the error message was different. It read:

Code: Select all

[power:…pressible/windEnergy/ABLSolver]$ wmake
SOURCE=ABLSolver.C ;  g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3  -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam240/src/turbulenceModels -I/opt/openfoam240/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam240/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam240/src/transportModels/incompressible/singlePhaseTransportModel -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam240/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam240/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude   -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/ABLSolver.o
In file included from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/cyclicAMIFvPatch.H:40:0,
                 from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/ddtScheme.C:30,
                 from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/ddtScheme.H:325,
                 from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/fvcDdt.C:28,
                 from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/fvcDdt.H:199,
                 from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/fvc.H:44,
                 from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/fvCFD.H:8,
                 from ABLSolver.C:48:
./cyclicAMIPolyPatch.H:135:19: error: ‘interpolationMethod’ in ‘Foam::AMIPatchToPatchInterpolation {aka class Foam::AMIInterpolation<Foam::PrimitivePatch<Foam::face, Foam::SubList, const Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> >&>, Foam::PrimitivePatch<Foam::face, Foam::SubList, const Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> >&> >}’ does not name a type
             const AMIPatchToPatchInterpolation::interpolationMethod& AMIMethod =
                   ^
./cyclicAMIPolyPatch.H:136:47: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘AMIMethod’ with no type [-fpermissive]
                 AMIPatchToPatchInterpolation::imFaceAreaWeight
                                               ^
./cyclicAMIPolyPatch.H:136:17: error: ‘imFaceAreaWeight’ is not a member of ‘Foam::AMIPatchToPatchInterpolation {aka Foam::AMIInterpolation<Foam::PrimitivePatch<Foam::face, Foam::SubList, const Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> >&>, Foam::PrimitivePatch<Foam::face, Foam::SubList, const Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> >&> >}’
                 AMIPatchToPatchInterpolation::imFaceAreaWeight
                 ^
In file included from ABLSolver.C:72:0:
/opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/readTimeControls.H: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
/opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/readTimeControls.H:38:8: warning: unused variable ‘maxDeltaT’ [-Wunused-variable]
 scalar maxDeltaT =
        ^
make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/ABLSolver.o] Error 1
[power:…pressible/windEnergy/ABLSolver]$

I got stuck here.
Is it because the AMI*.C/H files from OF22x are not compatiable with my current OF240?
Do I have to go back to OF22X to make it work?
Thanks for any help!

Xiaofei.Li
Organization: Self

Postby Xiaofei.Li » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:14 am

Danny.Sale wrote:hi Marshall and SOWFA enthusiasts,

I have been working off the version of SOWFA available on GitHub, and I have also encountered just about every compiling error that is mentioned on these forums. With the help of searching the NWTC forums, I was able to resolve many of these errors. Thanks to everybody who suggested solutions, and I have made a fork on GitHub that applied these modifications. I recently managed to get the "fastDuct" tutorial running, and hopefully it can run for others too. Here is the link: https://github.com/dcsale/SOWFA

I have a question related to the "fastDuct" tutorial. I received some compile errors that indicated several missing input parameters in the file "tutorials/fastDuct/system/fvSchemes", so to resolve I added the input variables shown below. And my question: what is the meaning of these input variables, and can you suggest what are appropriate values?

schemeBlending
{
// These inputs used by pisoFoamTurbine solver.  How to set these values?
xBlending1          0.00;
xBlending2          0.33;
xBlending3          0.66;
xBlending4          1.00;
blendingFactor1     0.25;
blendingFactor2     0.75;
}

Thanks for the help!

==

Danny Sale
University of Washington

Hi, Danny
I downloaded the "SOWFA-master.zip" from the link in your post and the fastDust tutorial worked, thanks a lot for shearing!
Did you by any chance compile the other solver in the file and does it work?
I tried but got similar error as shown in the above post.

Matthew.Muscato

Postby Matthew.Muscato » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:39 am

I tried contacting some people at NREL and didn't get a response. Quite disappointing that 3 people are reporting the same problem with no resolution from the programmers. I would really like to use this program. It's looking like a dream at this point though.

David.Ebner wrote:Hi everyone,

I am facing the same problem as Matthew and Ahmed trying to install SOWFA using OpenFOAM 2.3.1.
Did you come up with a solution to this error?

Bonnie.Jonkman

Postby Bonnie.Jonkman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:01 am

Hi, Matthew (and others).

Sorry you haven't received any response to your questions. If it helps, I can tell you the SOWFA team is working to update their code to use FAST v8 and OpenFOAM without modifications, which will hopefully resolve most of the install/compiling issues specific to SOWFA. I don't know exactly when they are planning to release it, but hopefully in the next month or two.
Bonnie Jonkman

Matthew.Muscato

Postby Matthew.Muscato » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:19 am

Hi Bonnie,

Thank you very much for this information. This is great to hear and I look forward to the next release.

Fabien.Boure
Organization: Durham University

Postby Fabien.Boure » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:37 am

Hi everyone,

I am struggling to install SOWFA on Ubuntu 14.04 with OpenFOAM 2.3.1. Running Allwmake gives errors which appear from the WindPlantSolver part that seems to be earlier in the script than most of you.

Making dependency list for source file windPlantSolver.C
could not open file horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H for source file windPlantSolver.C due to No such file or directory
SOURCE=windPlantSolver.C ;  g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3  -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam231/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels/incompressible/singlePhaseTransportModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/fvOptions/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/sampling/lnInclude -I/home/fabien/OpenFOAM/fabien-2.3.1/src/turbineModels/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude   -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/windPlantSolver.o
windPlantSolver.C:55:43: fatal error: horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H: No such file or directory
 #include "horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H"
                                           ^
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/windPlantSolver.o] Error 1
Making dependency list for source file pisoFoamTurbine.C
could not open file horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H for source file pisoFoamTurbine.C due to No such file or directory
SOURCE=pisoFoamTurbine.C ;  g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3  -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam231/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels/incompressible/singlePhaseTransportModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/fvOptions/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/sampling/lnInclude -I/home/fabien/OpenFOAM/fabien-2.3.1/src/turbineModels/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude   -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/pisoFoamTurbine.o
pisoFoamTurbine.C:38:43: fatal error: horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H: No such file or directory
                                           ^
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/pisoFoamTurbine.o] Error 1
Making dependency list for source file pisoFoamTurbine.C
could not open file horizontalAxisWindTurbinesADM.H for source file pisoFoamTurbine.C due to No such file or directory
SOURCE=pisoFoamTurbine.C ;  g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3  -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam231/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels/incompressible/singlePhaseTransportModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/fvOptions/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/sampling/lnInclude -I/home/fabien/OpenFOAM/fabien-2.3.1/src/turbineModels/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude   -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/pisoFoamTurbine.o
pisoFoamTurbine.C:38:43: fatal error: horizontalAxisWindTurbinesADM.H: No such file or directory
 #include "horizontalAxisWindTurbinesADM.H"
                                           ^
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/pisoFoamTurbine.o] Error 1
Making dependency list for source file turbineTestHarness.C
could not open file horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H for source file turbineTestHarness.C due to No such file or directory
SOURCE=turbineTestHarness.C ;  g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3  -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam231/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels/incompressible/singlePhaseTransportModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/fvOptions/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/sampling/lnInclude -I/home/fabien/OpenFOAM/fabien-2.3.1/src/turbineModels/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude   -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/turbineTestHarness.o
turbineTestHarness.C:34:43: fatal error: horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H: No such file or directory
                                           ^
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/turbineTestHarness.o] Error 1
./Allwmake: line 126: cd: src/openfast/bin: No such file or directory
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
./Allwmake: line 128: ./libmake: No such file or directory
./Allwmake: line 131: cd: src/fastturb: No such file or directory
wmake: 'Make' directory does not exist in /home/fabien
    Searching up directories tree for Make directory
wmake error: could not find Make directory
wmake error: file 'Make/files' does not exist in /home/fabien
./Allwmake: line 135: cd: applications/solvers/incompressible/windEnergy/windPlantSolverFAST: No such file or directory
wmake: 'Make' directory does not exist in /
    Searching up directories tree for Make directory
wmake error: could not find Make directory
wmake error: file 'Make/files' does not exist in /

I would really appreciate if someone has any tips to understand the source of the errors and come up with the problem.

Bonnie.Jonkman wrote:Hi, Matthew (and others).

Sorry you haven't received any response to your questions. If it helps, I can tell you the SOWFA team is working to update their code to use FAST v8 and OpenFOAM without modifications, which will hopefully resolve most of the install/compiling issues specific to SOWFA. I don't know exactly when they are planning to release it, but hopefully in the next month or two.

Bonnie, would you know if the new version is about to be released ?

Thank you in advance,

Fabien

Bonnie.Jonkman

Postby Bonnie.Jonkman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:57 am

Hi Fabien.

Unfortunately, I have not heard when the SOWFA team plans to release any new code. Funding in the new fiscal year is tight, and they told me they wanted to unify some of the different versions before releasing something. I would guess it will be several months, yet.
Bonnie Jonkman

Return to “Computer-Aided Engineering Software Tools”