Offshore Wind Data

Discussion of meteorological data.

Moderators: Bonnie.Jonkman, Andy.Clifton

Salem.Okpokparoro
Organization: University of Aberdeen

Re: Offshore Wind Data

Postby Salem.Okpokparoro » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:27 pm

Hi Jason,
I was hoping to get the raw data as I intend modelling it with copula. How do I obtain the same metocean data used for the pdf fitting?
BR
Last edited by Salem.Okpokparoro on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gordon.Stewart
Organization: Roger Williams University

Postby Gordon.Stewart » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:02 pm

Hi Salem,

I got the raw data from the NOAA buoy site (https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/). From there you can find the buoy you want, and click "View History" then there will be years of "Standard meteorological data". I originally wrote a small MATLAB script to automate the downloading of the hundreds of text files, but I can't get it to work right now (I think it is a firewall issue). Here is that code for what it is worth (I sure there is a more efficient way to do this):

Code: Select all

station = '44009'; % 5-digit station code from website
stationname = 'DELAWARE BAY'; %name of folder to store the files in
yearstart = 2008; %year to start downloading
yearend = 2008; %year to stop downloading
mkdir(strcat('NOAA Buoy Data\',stationname))

for year = yearstart:yearend
    fullURL = strcat('https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/view_text_file.php?filename=',station,'h',num2str(year),'.txt.gz&dir=data/historical/stdmet/');
    urlwrite(fullURL,strcat('\NOAA Buoy Data\',stationname,'\',num2str(year),'.txt')); %this line saves the files as 'year'.txt, can be changed if needed
end

Hope this helps. I am also happy to share the downloaded raw data to save you a step, but it's 250 MB, so we would have to figure out some other way. Let me know.

-Gordon

Salem.Okpokparoro
Organization: University of Aberdeen

Postby Salem.Okpokparoro » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:10 pm

Hi Gordon,
Many thanks for your time. If I can get the particular buoy IDs used in establishing any of the sites (say East Coast), or better still raw data for only East Coast would be great. Can be shared using Onedrive maybe?
BR

Return to “NWTC Wind Data”