WindpACK 1.5 MW

This forum if for discussing controls. Questions about how to implement controls in FAST are more appropriate to the CAE Tools forum.

Moderator: Bonnie.Jonkman

Ali.Elyaakoubi
Organization: abdelmalek Essaadi University

WindpACK 1.5 MW

Postby Ali.Elyaakoubi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:31 am

Dear Sir
In my simulation of Wind Pack wind turbine model I have recounted a problem where an image of matlab error is given below:
Can you please help to fix the causes of the problem:

Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 3, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 4, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 5, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 6, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 7, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 8, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 9, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 10, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 11, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 12, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 13, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 14, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 15, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 16, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 17, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 3, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 4, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 5, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 6, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 7, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 8, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 9, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 10, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 11, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 12, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 13, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 14, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 15, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 16, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 17, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 3, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 4, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 5, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 6, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 7, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 8, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 9, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 10, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 11, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 12, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 13, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 14, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 15, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 16, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 17, Blade = 3

FAST completed.
Attachments
FAST.png
FAST.png (139.94 KiB) Viewed 6601 times

Jason.Jonkman

Re: WindpACK 1.5 MW

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:07 am

Dear Ali,

I'm not seeing any error messages in the output you pasted, just warning messages. Does the simulation run to completion? Are you running one of the example FAST models from the FAST CertTest e.g. Test 13? What did you change?

The warning about high angle of attack is triggered when the angle of attack is so high so as to invalidate the unsteady airfoil aerodynamics model. When UACutOut in the airfoil data tables is set to "DEFAULT", the warning is triggered and the unsteady airfoil aerodynamics model is disabled when the angle of attack exceeds +/- 45 degrees.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Ali.Elyaakoubi

Postby Ali.Elyaakoubi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:34 am

I want to control the pitch from simulink:
attched is my control model with its parameters and an overview of the error:
The controller parameters are determined for an operating point

Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 3, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 4, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 5, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 6, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 7, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 8, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 9, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 10, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 11, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 12, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 13, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 14, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 15, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 16, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 17, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 3, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 4, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 5, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 6, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 7, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 8, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 9, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 10, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 11, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 12, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 13, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 14, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 15, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 16, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 17, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 3, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 4, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 5, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 6, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 7, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 8, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 9, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 10, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 11, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 12, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 13, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 14, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 15, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 16, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics due to high angle-of-attack. BladeNode = 17, Blade = 3

Warning: block 'WINDPACK/FAST Nonlinear Wind Turbine/S-Function':
FAST_Solution:FAST_AdvanceStates:ED_ABM4:ED_CalcContStateDeriv:SetCoordSy:Small angle assumption
violated in SUBROUTINE SmllRotTrans() due to a large blade deflection (ElastoDyn SetCoordSy). The
solution may be inaccurate. Simulation continuing, but future warnings from SmllRotTrans() will be
suppressed.
Additional debugging message from SUBROUTINE SmllRotTrans(): 6.32 s

FAST completed.
Attachments
FAST1.png
FAST1.png (101.28 KiB) Viewed 6592 times
FAST.png
FAST.png (105.69 KiB) Viewed 6592 times

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:05 am

Dear Ali,

Your model appears to be going numerically unstable, with high angles of attack and very large blade deflection. Does the model run when you disable your pitch controller? If so, I would guess the problem is your pitch controller.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Ali.Elyaakoubi

Postby Ali.Elyaakoubi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:09 am

Yes when i disable tyhe pitch controller the model run
Can you please give me the parameters of the pitch controller of this model or some hepfull documents

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:25 am

Dear Ali,

The baseline controller for the WindPACT 1.5-MW turbine is described in Appendix E of the WindPACT Rotor Design Study Report: http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy06osti/32495.pdf. The corresponding control logic is implemented in Craig Hansen's pitch controller, PitchCntrl_ACH.f90, which relies on an input file "Pitch.ipt", that is supplied with FAST.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Charlie.Sheng
Organization: western university

Postby Charlie.Sheng » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Dear Dr. Jonkman,

I am working on a project that I need to build a 2.3MW wind turbine in FAST. So I chose the WP 1.5MW as the template to get my model by adjusting related parameters, such as the tower property and rotor and nacelle mass etc, the blade is just changed by scaling its whole length. The ultimate goal for my simulation is to get the dynamic response of structure, say, blade and tower, in the normal operation. So in this process, I meet a problem with pitch control:

1. At first, I used the pitch control file, i.e. pitch.ipt in-built in the CertTest to incorporate the pitch control during operation simulation, as I think in the normal operation, pitch control is on. But in the simulated results, the output power i.e. RotPwr, is just 800KW. I know that the pitch.ipt in the CertTest is just for WP wind turbine with the rated power of 1.5MW. While my wind turbine is 2.3MW, so what should I do to modify the pitch control file in order to get the rated power I want? I read the pitch.ipt and corresponding PitchCntrl_ACH, but cannot find the way to modify it for my problem.

2. Then, I disable the pitch control in my simulation, ans find the tower base response is different with the case that I incorporate the pitch control. So I am wondering if including the pitch control will impact the structural response or to what extent?

Looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,
Charlie sheng

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Dear Charlie,

I don't really have experience changing the pitch.ipt file associated with the PitchCntrl_ACH controller. Hopefully the documentation linked in the post above is of use. Alternatively, you could adopt the Bladed-style DLL controller supplied for the NREL 5-MW baseline turbine to your turbine. This controller is documented in the NREL 5-MW baseline turbine specifications report (http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy09osti/38060.pdf) and the source code for the DLL is distributed with FAST together with the NREL 5-MW models.

I would expect the pitch control to have a impact on the response of the wind turbine above rated power. The pitch controller will regulate the rotor speed and power to rated, which will have a strong coupling to the structural response.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Charlie.Sheng
Organization: western university

Postby Charlie.Sheng » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:18 pm

Dear Dr. Jonkman,

Thanks your info. I will refer to your suggested info.

Best regards,
Charlie

Return to “Controls”