Eigenvalue Analysis of OC3 Hywind

Discuss theory and modeling of wind-turbine structures.

Moderator: Bonnie.Jonkman

Danupon.Subanapong
Organization: University of Tokyo

Eigenvalue Analysis of OC3 Hywind

Postby Danupon.Subanapong » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:23 am

Hello!!!
I am working with modelling of FOWT in FAST v.8. In ElastoDyn input, the mode shape of each tower modes is necessary to be inputted. I used BModes to derive those mode shapes. However, before I use it to model 2MW FOWT I checked the values of mode shapes used in ElastoDyn of OC3 Hywind project (coefficients of six order polynomial fitted values) and I compare with the one I obtained from BModes (obtained from OC3 Hywind's Bmodes model) and fitted by using polynomial equation. I found that the values of 1st tower fore-aft and side-side obtained from BModes give good agreement with FAST default values in OC3 Hywind FAST demo file, but the values of mode shapes of 2nd fore-aft and side-side obtained by BModes are differnt from FAST ElastoDyn input default values. So, I am wondering if BModes can be used to derive mode shapes for FAST? Could you please give me some suggestion on this?
Thank you in advance
Danupon Subanapong

Jason.Jonkman

Re: Eigenvalue Analysis of OC3 Hywind

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 am

Dear Danupon,

This question has been asked and answered on this forum before--e.g. see the posts dated May 07-08, 2018 in the following forum topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1945&p=11222.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Return to “Structural Analysis”