Hydrodynamic implementation

Discuss wave-energy device design and modeling

Moderator: Bonnie.Jonkman

Jason.Jonkman

Re: Hydrodynamic implementation

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:30 pm

Dear Lorenzo,

There should not be anything unique in OpenFAST regarding Mx. I agree with your calculations, with just two comments:
  • As I mentioned before, the equation you are using for Frestoring is linear, whereas ElastoDyn considers some nonlinearity here based on Eq. (2) in the Wind Energy paper I referenced above.
  • You don't say this, but presumably the inertia matrix, I, is also variable with platform movement.
Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Lorenzo.Cottura
Organization: Politecnico di Torino

Postby Lorenzo.Cottura » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:51 am

Dear Jason,
Yes, the inertia matrix varies with the movement of the platform.
I have consulted the paper you suggested. I think I understand that Equation 2 replaces Euler's angles. However we use Euler angles to move to the inertial frame of reference (0,0,0), so this term should already be considered by us.
Furthermore, I don't understand how Euler angles affect the non-linearity of the restoring moment.
Where can I find information about it?

Best regards,
Lorenzo.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:30 pm

Dear Lorenzo

The restoring moment can be written as

F_restoring = -r_g x { 0; 0; -m*g }

where:

r_g = [ TransMat^T ]*{ x_g; y_g; z_g }

and TransMat^T is the transpose (inverse) of the orientation matrix documented in Eq. (2).

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Lorenzo.Cottura

Postby Lorenzo.Cottura » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:06 am

Dear Jason,
To better understand the reason for the divergence of the previously analyzed results (see quote), I chose to carry out an analysis only on the hydrodynamic part, thus setting CompAero = 0 and defining the initial rotor speed = 0. In this way it is possible to neglect the loads at the base of the turbine throughout the simulation.

Lorenzo.Cottura wrote:Dear Jason,
Thanks for checking.
I have tried to investigate further what can cause the differences between my outputs and those of FAST, and I have noticed that the cause is the resultant moment Mx.
In fact, I compared, for each DOF, that the equation was verified:
M * a = Fhydro + Fturbine + Fmoor - Frestoring - Fnonlinear
thus obtaining from the product M * a the resulting Fx, Fy, Fz, Mx, My, Mz which I had to obtain from the sum of the contributions to have the same accelerations as FAST.
To do this I used:
- M: variable mass matrix with the movement of the platform
- a: acceleration outputs of FAST ('PtfmTAxi', 'PtfmTAyi', 'PtfmTAzi', 'PtfmRAxi', 'PtfmRAyi', 'PtfmRAzi')
- Fhydro: outputs FAST ('HydroFxi', 'HydroFyi' 'HydroFzi', 'HydroMxi', 'HydroMyi', 'HydroMzi')
- Fturbine: forces at the base of the turbine tower, obtained starting from the aerodynamic forces / moments on the rotor ('RtAeroFxh', 'RtAeroFyh', 'RtAeroFzh', 'RtAeroMxh', 'RtAeroMyh', 'RtAeroMzh'), transported in the fixed reference of the nacelle and then transported to the base of the tower.
- Fmoor: starting from the forces in the 3 directions for each line obtained by MAP ++, the moments were obtained
- Frestoring: where the contribution on Mx is given by m * x_g * 'PtfmYaw' - m * z_g * 'PtfmRoll' where m = total mass of the system, (x_g, y_g, z_g) coordinates of the center of mass with respect to the origin of the inertial reference system
- Fnonlinear: as regards the moments, I used the formula omega x I dot omega (with omega = ['PtfmRVxi', 'PtfmRVyi', 'PtfmRVzi'] and I: inertia matrix 3x3, depending on platforms movements)

The equation of dynamics then becomes:
M * a = Fhydro + Fmoor - Frestoring - Fnonlinear
where each component is defined as in the quote, with the exception of the restoring moment where the changes you suggest have been inserted.
As I did earlier, I have compared forces-moments with M * a in all directions:
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-29 at 13.53.13 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-29 at 13.53.13 (1).jpeg (167.78 KiB) Viewed 175 times

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-29 at 13.53.13.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-29 at 13.53.13.jpeg (203.38 KiB) Viewed 175 times

Comparing the results, I recorded the following errors on the rms values:
Fx: 2,5% Fy: 2,4% Fz: 0,4% Mx: 15,1% My: 6,7% Mz: -99%
As you can see, Mx has a small error especially in the first part of the simulation. The resultant of Mz, on the other hand, is of the order of ten while the corresponding M * a has values of hundreds: I cannot understand the reason given that HydroMz, MoorMz and NonlinMz have values of the order of unity, while the restoring moment is null in rz direction.
Is there any advice you can give me?
Thanks for the attention,
Lorenzo.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:27 am

Dear Lorenzo,

I'm not sure. Do you see yaw motion in this simulation? If so, I would expect nonzero moments to show up in Fhydro, Fmoor, and Fnonlinear.

Another thing I notice is that the yaw moments are very small relative to the roll, and especially the pitch, moments. This suggests that that numerical round in the calculations may have more of an influence on the yaw moment.

Best regards
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Lorenzo.Cottura

Postby Lorenzo.Cottura » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:45 am

Dear Jason,
Yaw is very small (order of 10^-8 degrees), this justifies the low values of Mz in Fhydro, Fmoor, and Fnonlinear.
To compare, roll order is about 10^-5 degrees, from which we can see the proportion between Mx and Mz: in fact, Mx is of the order of 10^4, while Mz should be 10^1 (not 10^2, as obtained with M*a).
I agree with you that it could therefore be a numerical error which becomes more evident in Mz due to the low values. The most important thing for me is not to have forgotten any contributions.
Best regards,
Lorenzo.
Last edited by Lorenzo.Cottura on Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lorenzo.Cottura

Postby Lorenzo.Cottura » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:57 am

Dear Jason,
To be completely sure that I have done everything right, I will rewrite for the last time, in as much detail as possible, the terms that make up the equation of hydrodynamics:
M * a = Fhydro + Fmoor - Fnonlinear -Frestoring
where is it:
  • M: variable mass matrix with the movement of the platform. It is defined starting from the mass matrix in the center of mass Mcg, whose value has already been confirmed by you in the topic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1257&p=15381#p15381.
    Then M = M_swl = TransMat^T^-1*M_cg*TransMat^-1 where
    TransMat =
    [ [ 1 0 0 0 -z_cg y_cg ];
    [ 0 1 0 z_cg 0 -x_cg ];
    [ 0 0 1 -y_cg x_cg 0 ];
    [ 0 0 0 1 0 0 ];
    [ 0 0 0 0 1 0 ];
    [ 0 0 0 0 0 1 ] ]
    and
    TransMat^T =
    [ [ 1 0 0 0 0 0 ];
    [ 0 1 0 0 0 0 ];
    [ 0 0 1 0 0 0 ];
    [ 0 z_cg -y_cg 1 0 0 ];
    [ -z_cg 0 x_cg 0 1 0 ];
    [ y_cg -x_cg 0 0 0 0 1 ] ]
    In these formulas, the coordinates of the center of mass r_g = [x_cg, y_cg, z_cg] are not fixed but vary with the movements of the platform, through the formula:
    r_g = [AngleMat^T ]*{ x_cg; y_cg; z_cg }
    where { x_cg; y_cg; z_cg } is the initial position of the center of mass and AngleMat^T is the transpose (inverse) of the Eulerian matrix (or of the orientation matrix documented in Eq. (2) in your 2009 Wind Energy paper: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/we.347).
    In this way a mass matrix M = M_swl 6x6 is obtained, variable and arranged as in the figure.
    Schermata 2020-10-30 alle 10.35.51.png
    Schermata 2020-10-30 alle 10.35.51.png (39.36 KiB) Viewed 148 times

It is also recalled that x_g, y_g, z_g in the figure, as well as the moments of inertia, vary from instant to instant depending on the arrangement of the platform. From now on, references to M will be references to the variable mass (example M (1,5) = m*z_g)
  • a: acceleration outputs of FAST ('PtfmTAxi', 'PtfmTAyi', 'PtfmTAzi', 'PtfmRAxi', 'PtfmRAyi', 'PtfmRAzi')
  • Fhydro: outputs FAST ('HydroFxi', 'HydroFyi' 'HydroFzi', 'HydroMxi', 'HydroMyi', 'HydroMzi')
  • Fmoor: starting from the forces in the 3 directions for each line obtained by MAP ++ ( example Fx_moor = Fx[1] + Fx[2] + Fx[3] + Fx[4] + Fx[5] + Fx[6]), the moments were obtained.
    For each line the forces in the 3 directions are obtained (eg Fx [1], Fy [1], Fz [1]).
    Defined C = (x_c, y_c, z_c) the vector connecting the point (0,0,0) with the anchor fairlead, we obtain the C_rot arm to be multiplied by the forces to obtain the moments:
    C_rot = [AngleMat ^ T] * {x_c; y_c; z_c}
    in fact, the arm used to obtain the moments from the forces varies with the variation of the position of the platform.
    Finally [Mx, My, Mz] = C_rot x [Fx, Fy, Fz] (example [Mx [1], My [1], Mz [1]] = C_rot [1] x [Fx [1], Fy [1], Fz [1]])
  • Frestoring: where Fx, Fy, Mz are 0,
    Fz=m*g
    Mx = M(2,6)* g * 'PtfmYaw' - M(1,5) * g * 'PtfmRoll'
    My = M(3,4)* g * 'PtfmYaw' - M(1,5) * g * 'PtfmPitch'
  • Fnonlinear: defined the inertia matrix I =
    [[M (4,4), M (4,5), M (4,6)];
    [M (5,4), M (5,5), M (5,6)];
    [M (6,4), M (6,5), M (6,6)]]
    (which therefore depends on the movements of the platform), and defined omega = ['PtfmRVxi', 'PtfmRVyi', 'PtfmRVzi'],
    as regards the moments I used the formula omega x I dot omega,
    as regards the forces I used the formula omega x (omega x r_cm * mass) where r_cm * mass = [M (6,2), M (4,3), M (5,1)]
I hope this will fully clarify the formulas I use.
Best regards,
Lorenzo.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:55 am

Dear Lorenzo,

From my brief review, your equations make sense to me. Just two comments:
  • Presumably you are using TransMat^-1 and TransMat^T^-1 as stated in your equation for M in place of the stated TransMat and TransMat^T.
  • I proposed a nonlinear way of calculating F_restoring in my post dated Sep 30, 2020 above, which is different that what you have stated.
Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Lorenzo.Cottura

Postby Lorenzo.Cottura » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:46 am

Dear Jason,
  • Yes, starting from the formula M_cg = TransMat^T*M_swl*TransMat I supposed M_swl = TransMat^T^-1*M_cg*TransMat^-1. Is it correct?
  • I thought my change to the restoring moment was the one you suggested. I will check further
Thanks for your reply,
Lorenzo

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:49 am

Dear Lorenzo,

Yes, I agree with the equations:

M_cg = TransMat^T*M_swl*TransMat

and

M_swl = TransMat^T^-1*M_cg*TransMat^-1

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Riccardo.Caradonna

Postby Riccardo.Caradonna » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:49 am

Dear Jason,
Investigating hydrodynamics, I found a difference regarding the radiation forces. Specifically, I performed the same test with fast, setting the calculation of the radiation forces for the first time with the convolution integral, the second with the state-space model.
The outputs [RdtnFx, RdtnFy, RdtnFz, RdtnMx, RdtnMy, RdtnMz] of both tests I then purified of the component Ainf * acc. Plotting the results, however, I found a big difference between the two tests (fig.1 shows only Mx, but all DOFs have similar differences).
How could this difference be due?
Attachments
fig1.PNG
fig1.PNG (81.02 KiB) Viewed 50 times

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:36 am

Dear Riccardo,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the following. The radiation outputs from the HydroDyn module include both added mass and radiation damping.
purified of the component Ainf * acc

The state-space solution will only match the convolution solution closely when the state-space model is set up to provide an excellent match (likely requiring many states). How are you setting up the state-space model?

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Return to “Wave Energy”