Wind tunnel test of wind turbine ?

Discuss field testing of turbines and structural testing of components.

Moderator: Bonnie.Jonkman

Zhou.Hua

Wind tunnel test of wind turbine ?

Postby Zhou.Hua » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:31 am

As we all know that the wind tunnel test can only test very limited Reynolds number scope flows around wind turbines, how would we validate the accuracy of our CFD works ?
School of Aerospace Engineering and Applied Mechanics, Tongji University
Shanghai, China

Pat.Moriarty

CFD validation

Postby Pat.Moriarty » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Zhou,

I think that most people would agree that matching Reynolds number is important for validating CFD codes, particularly when there is such a large range along the blade of a typical turbine. My suggestion is to try to get access to data that covers the range that you are interested in for validation. There have been full scale tests on smaller turbines such as the NREL NASA Ames Experiment or the upcoming European MEXICO test. There are also higher Reynolds number tests of turbines done at Riso and NREL, but the data is much more sparse - typically integrated loads and power. Often, these data are shared through IEA working groups that many different countries are involved in, although I'm not sure that China is active yet.

Of course the first step of validating most codes is done by looking at much more simple geometries (but complex flowfields), like cylinders, airfoils, etc... where the data are much more detailed and widely available.

cheers,
Pat
Big whirls have little whirls, That feed on their velocity; And little whirls have lesser whirls, And so on to viscosity - Lewis Richardson.

Zhou.Hua

Postby Zhou.Hua » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:40 am

Thanks, Pat,

I think that will be the only way to 'validate' the codes. I computed the performance of NREL S827 airfoil, there exits obvious difference between the data from NREL report and my results, with my analysis, I believe the reason is the Reynolds Number. But I don't have experiment data to support this analysis. BTW, where could I get the geometry of S809, it seems to be a very popular airfoil, but I can't find its geometry data via internet. Is that airfoil still a tech-secret ?

Shanghai, China

Pat.Moriarty

S809

Postby Pat.Moriarty » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:47 am

Zhou,

the coordiantes for the s809 are available in the following

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/pur ... 437668.pdf

or

http://wind.nrel.gov/amestest/MachineData.pdf

cheers,
Pat
Big whirls have little whirls, That feed on their velocity; And little whirls have lesser whirls, And so on to viscosity - Lewis Richardson.

Zhou.Hua

Postby Zhou.Hua » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:31 am

Thanks, Pat !

Shanghai, China

Hadi.Khayyamian
Organization: Student of university of Birmingham

Re: Wind tunnel test of wind turbine ?

Postby Hadi.Khayyamian » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:33 am

Hi guys;

I would like to know if the experimental results of NREL S809 blades are available or not?
I need them to validate my CFD results.

Thanks.

Marshall.Buhl
Organization: NREL/NWTC

Re: Wind tunnel test of wind turbine ?

Postby Marshall.Buhl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:51 pm

Hadi.Khayyamian wrote:I would like to know if the experimental results of NREL S809 blades are available or not?

Try nosing around here: http://wind.nrel.gov/airfoils/. Especially, "Airfoil Docs" and "OSU WT Tests."
Mr. Marshall L. Buhl Jr.
NWTC-3811
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
Golden, CO 80401 USA
Marshall.Buhl@nrel.gov
Voice: +1 (303) 384-6914
Cell: +1 (303) 915-6623
Fax: +1 (303) 384-7079

Return to “Testing”