openfast v2.3

Topics of general, but wind-related interest.

Moderator: Bonnie.Jonkman

Gonzalo.Ahedo
Organization: IDOM

openfast v2.3

Postby Gonzalo.Ahedo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:31 am

Dear all,

My name is Gonzalo Ahedo, an Spanish engineer working in the offshore sector. Some months ago, I started simulating with DTU10MW WTG, and for that, I have been using FAST v8 without any problems.

But recently, analysing the trends of the offshore wind market, I have decided to use the new model of NREL15MW. For that model (https://github.com/put247/NREL-15MW-Off ... _prelim_v4) it is necessary to change my .exe, and start running simulations with the OpenFAST v2.3 (https://github.com/OpenFAST/openfast/releases).
After downloading all the necessary archive and preparing my simulations data, I encountered with the following error:

"It is not found the entry point of the procedure for_reallhoc_lhs in the library of dinamyc links (and the direction of the .exe)"

Unfortunately I do not understand to what is refering with this message, and I am not able to find anything useful in the Internet. So, I come here to ask if someone has face with the same problem and/or knows how to solve it.

Thanks in advanced,

Gonzalo

Akheel.Kodambiyakamkizhakkakam
Organization: NIT Calicut

Re: openfast v2.3

Postby Akheel.Kodambiyakamkizhakkakam » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:59 am

Hey all
Does OpenFAST consider the coupled dynamics of the platform structure and tower in the case of floating offshore wind turbine?

Thanks in advance
Akheel

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:50 am

Dear Gonzalo -- Sorry, but I'm not familiar with this error. I would suggest posting your question on GitHub issues (either in OpenFAST or for the NREL 15-MW turbine).

Dear Akheel -- Yes, OpenFAST considers the coupled dynamics of the platform and tower for floating offshore wind turbines. That said, in OpenFAST v2.3, the platform is considered a six degrees of freedom rigid body. We are working on an upgrade to OpenFAST to support the structural flexibility and member-level loads of the floating platform, which will be available in a future OpenFAST release.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Ioannis.Bertsios
Organization: self

Postby Ioannis.Bertsios » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:02 am

Hi all,

I am working with a floating wind turbine model which was build in FASTv8.16. Now, I want to modify the files in order to run the simulation with openFAST (v2.3.0). Although I have worked with transitions of previous versions of FAST to newer ones (v15 to v16 for example), I cannot figure out how it works for openFAST. I have checked the deleted and added lines in openFAST documentation so I suppose that regarding the .fst file I have to do it manually. Concerning the HydroDyn I have checked that there is a matlab tool for this purpose. Nevertheless, the simulation does not run smoothly as it was with FASTv8.16. One extra thing that confuses me is the module AeroDyn Airfoil Input File -Airfoil Tables (Added in OpenFAST v2.3.0 according to documentation). Is it something additional since I cannot find a similar module on previous FAST versions?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Ioannis.

Edit: this is the error
Processed 108800 time steps of 20-Hz full-field data (5440 seconds).
Running ServoDyn.
Running ServoDyn Interface for Bladed Controllers.
Running HydroDyn.
Generating incident wave kinematics and current time history.

FAST_InitializeAll:HydroDyn_Init:Waves_Init:VariousWaves_Init:Cannot allocate array WaveAcc0Hxi.
VariousWaves_Init:Cannot allocate array WaveAcc0Hyi.
VariousWaves_Init:Cannot allocate array WaveAcc0V.
VariousWaves_Init:Cannot allocate array InitOut%WaveDynP.
VariousWaves_Init:Cannot allocate array InitOut%WaveVel.
VariousWaves_Init:Cannot allocate array InitOut%WaveAcc.
VariousWaves_Init:Cannot allocate array InitOut%PWaveDynP0.
VariousWaves_Init:Cannot allocate array InitOut%PWaveVel0.
VariousWaves_Init:Cannot allocate array InitOut%PWaveAcc0.
VariousWaves_Init:Cannot allocate array InitOut%nodeInWater.

FAST encountered an error during module initialization.
Simulation error level: FATAL ERROR

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:58 am

Dear Ioannis,

The MATLAB Toolbox was historically updated to support upgrading FAST input files from v7 to v8 and between various releases of FAST v8. But these tools have not been updated to support the transition to various versions of OpenFAST. That said, the input file changes in OpenFAST have only been small (so far). The input file changes are explained in the OpenFAST documentation here: https://openfast.readthedocs.io/en/mast ... hange.html. The HydroDyn input file has not changed between FAST v8.16 and OpenFAST v2.3. Regarding the airfoil tables, if you have "Ctrl" defined after "Re", this line is now interpreted as "UserProp".

Regarding the error you are receiving, this doesn't seem related to an input file formatting error. It looks like there is not enough memory available in your system to store the data necessary to run your simulation. Do you have a large HydroDyn model with many strip-theory hydrodynamic nodes? Are you perhaps using a 32-bit Windows executable (which limits access to more than 2-GB of RAM)?

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Ioannis.Bertsios
Organization: self

Postby Ioannis.Bertsios » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:06 am

Dear Jason,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Yes the HydroDyn model is large. I used the 32-bit executable since the controller is 32-bit compiled and I cannot use the 64-bit exe. The model could run smooth with FASTv8.16 exe but I got this error when I tried it with OpenFASTv2.3.0

Best regards,
Ioannis.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:23 am

Dear Ioannis,

Perhaps the model requires just about 2-GB of RAM and the OpenFAST v2.3 memory requirements are slightly more than FAST v8.16? You may be able to solve the memory problem by eliminating a few analysis nodes from the model.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Return to “General”