FAST.Farm

Topics of general, but wind-related interest.

Moderator: Bonnie.Jonkman

Takahiro.Sonoda
Organization: JGC Corporation

Re: FAST.Farm

Postby Takahiro.Sonoda » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Dear Jason,

Would you please share the pre-release version of the FAST.Farm software package just as others requested earlier?

Best Regards,
Takahiro Sonoda

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:42 pm

Sent.
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Jiaping.Cui
Organization: Shenyang University of Technology

Postby Jiaping.Cui » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:57 pm

Dear Jason,

A few days ago, you sent a sample of FAST.Farm for a case with neutral atmospheric stability with a mean wind speed of 8 m/s and three NREL 5-MW baseline wind turbines in a row, including the FAST.Farm and OpenFAST input files, ambient wind data (generated by an ABLSolver precursor) to me.
I also try to run this model, but have some errors. As the follows:

FARM_UpdateStates:OpenFInpFile:The input file.
“E:\0FAST.Farm\Sample\AmbWind\N3\HighT1\Amb.t1795.vtk”, was not found.
Aborting FAST.Farm

And I opened the folder of HighT1, I found the last file is “Amb.t1794.vtk”. So I want to know if the HighT1 folder is short of files ?

What's more, could you release some other samples about the wind date generated by the OpenFAST’s InflowWind module or the floating wind turbines or other types of examples to me ?

Best Regards,

Jiaping.Cui

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Dear Jiaping,

The sample FAST.Farm simulation stored in Neutral_8mps_3WT_Short.zip is only valid for a 300-s simulation (I don't have enough space on my Google Drive for the full set of VTK input files for a 1996-s long simulation).

We are working to develop additional sample FAST.Farm models that can be shared that use Mod_AmbWind = 2 and 3.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Thom.Homsma
Organization: Siemens Gamesa

Postby Thom.Homsma » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:46 am

Dear Jason,

When do you expect to officialy release FAST.Farm?
Would you please share the pre-release version of the FAST.Farm software package just as others requested earlier?

Kind regards,

Thom Homsma

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:29 am

Dear Thom,

I just sent you the pre-release version of FAST.Farm via e-mail.

Regarding the "official release", I would expect very soon, but I won't say a date because I've been wrong in the past. We are waiting on finalization of the wind farm super controller, which has been out of my control.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Kelsey.Shaler
Organization: NREL

Postby Kelsey.Shaler » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:53 am

Zhongyou.Wu wrote:Dear Dr. Jonkman,

I have run the wind farm example contained in the FASTFarm folder without any difficulties. When working on my own wind farm layout, it gets challenging. The wind field is generated with Turbsim and Mod_AmbWind = 2. When configuring the Ambient wind, it gets confusing. I have no idea how to set the layout parameters, such as X0_Low, Y0_Low, Z0_Low,X0_High, Y0_High, Z0_High and others. From the published report, I know you have tested the FASTFarm extensively. If possible, could you provide a wind farm example with Ambient Wind using InflowWind Module? That would be very helpful.

In addtion, could you also provide a link for Turbsim2 download? I searched the website but could not find. Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Zhongyou Wu

Hello,

An example FAST.Farm case using InflowWind=2 can be obtained by cloning the following github repo:

git clone https://github.com/kshaler/r-test.git -b reg_test/fastfarm

Be sure to clone the reg_test/fastfarm branch, otherwise the FAST.Farm examples will not be available. The TurbSim example is located in the glue-codes/fast-farm/TSinflow directory. This directory contains all required files, except the executable.

TienDat.Chu
Organization: National University of Civil Engineering, Hanoi

Postby TienDat.Chu » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:21 pm

Dear Jason,

Could you please share with me the pre-release version of FAST.Farm and a completed sample?

Thank you for considering my request.

Best regards,

Tiendat.Chu

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:49 pm

Sent.
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Jiaping.Cui

Postby Jiaping.Cui » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:59 pm

Kelsey.Shaler wrote:
Zhongyou.Wu wrote:Dear Dr. Jonkman,

I have run the wind farm example contained in the FASTFarm folder without any difficulties. When working on my own wind farm layout, it gets challenging. The wind field is generated with Turbsim and Mod_AmbWind = 2. When configuring the Ambient wind, it gets confusing. I have no idea how to set the layout parameters, such as X0_Low, Y0_Low, Z0_Low,X0_High, Y0_High, Z0_High and others. From the published report, I know you have tested the FASTFarm extensively. If possible, could you provide a wind farm example with Ambient Wind using InflowWind Module? That would be very helpful.

In addtion, could you also provide a link for Turbsim2 download? I searched the website but could not find. Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Zhongyou Wu

Hello,

An example FAST.Farm case using InflowWind=2 can be obtained by cloning the following github repo:

git clone https://github.com/kshaler/r-test.git -b reg_test/fastfarm

Be sure to clone the reg_test/fastfarm branch, otherwise the FAST.Farm examples will not be available. The TurbSim example is located in the glue-codes/fast-farm/TSinflow directory. This directory contains all required files, except the executable.

Dear Kelsey,

I have applied this example FAST.Farm case using InflowWind=2, but it always had errors as following:

FAST.Farm-v1.0.0-144-g254fc1a0-dirty
Compile Info:
- Architecture: 64 bit
- Precision: single
Execution Info:
- Date: 10/09/2020
- Time: 09:53:41+0800

Heading of the FAST.Farm input file:
Sample FAST.Farm input file
Running AWAE.
Running InflowWind.

Reading a 101x35 grid (1000 m wide, 5 m to 345 m above ground) with a characteristic wind
speed of 9.243 m/s. This full-field file was generated by TurbSim (v2.00.07a-bjj, 14-Jun-2016)
on 24-Sep-2019 at 16:18:09.

Processed 2000 time steps of 10-Hz full-field data (period of 200 seconds).
Running WakeDynamics.
Running FASTWrapper.
Running OpenFAST.
OpenFAST input file heading:
FAST Certification Test #26: NREL 5.0 MW Baseline Wind Turbine (Onshore)

Running ElastoDyn.
Running AeroDyn.

Farm_Initialize:Farm_ValidateInput:OutFmt produces a column width of 10 instead of 14 characters.
Farm_Initialize:For efficiency, NumPlanes has been reduced to the number of time steps (134).
Farm_Initialize:T1:Farm_InitFAST:FWrap_Init:FAST_InitializeAll:AD_Init:ReadInputFiles:ReadPrimaryF
ile:Invalid logical input for file
"F:\1FAST.Farm\TSinflow\5MW_Baseline/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Onshore_AeroDyn15.dat" occurred while
trying to read TipLoss.
ReadPrimaryFile:Invalid numerical input for file
"F:\1FAST.Farm\TSinflow\5MW_Baseline/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Onshore_AeroDyn15.dat" occurred while
trying to read IndToler.
ReadPrimaryFile:Invalid numerical input for file
trying to read MaxIter.

Aborting FAST.Farm.

This problems really puzzled me for a long time. So I want to know how to solve this problem urgently.

Best regards,

Jiaping.Cui

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:26 pm

Dear Jiaping.Cui,

These error imply that the OpenFAST input files are not properly formatted for the executable you are running. Which version of OpenFAST are your input files formatted for? As with any input file processing error, you should enable the echo option in the input file to debug.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Jiaping.Cui

Postby Jiaping.Cui » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:27 am

Dear Jason,

I have checked the FAST primary input files,I found the executable and input files are not proper indeed. But can I decide which version of OpenFAST or FAST to transfer when I am running the FAST.Farm executable?Or I should modify the input files' format to fit the OpenFAST' version? And it also have a problem that I don't know the FAST.Farm transfer which version of OpenFAST.

Best regards,

Jiaping.Cui

Jiaping.Cui

Postby Jiaping.Cui » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:37 am

Dear Jason,

The errors above are produced by the compiled FAST.Farm Windows executables that you have given.

The errors below are produced by the compiled FAST.Farm Windows executables that I use the Visual-Stadio, git, Fortran Compiler and Python to build using he FAST.Farm source code and compile scripts by myself.

I try to run the same example FAST.Farm case using InflowWind=2 through the two kinds of FAST.Farm Windows executable, but they both appeared errors. I want to solve this problem and hope to get your answer.

Best regards,

Jiaping.Cui

The message below is produced by the executable that I built.

FAST.Farm-Unversioned from aad78b53445694288e03eb2f7bb8274a73a2eb3c
Compile Info:
- Architecture: 64 bit
- Precision: single
- Date: Oct 08 2020
- Time: 23:05:36
Execution Info:
- Date: 10/09/2020
- Time: 14:47:17+0800

Heading of the FAST.Farm input file:
Sample FAST.Farm input file
Running AWAE.
Running InflowWind.

Reading a 101x35 grid (1000 m wide, 5 m to 345 m above ground) with a characteristic wind
speed of 9.243 m/s. This full-field file was generated by TurbSim (v2.00.07a-bjj, 14-Jun-2016)
on 24-Sep-2019 at 16:18:09.

Processed 2000 time steps of 10-Hz full-field data (period of 200 seconds).
Running WakeDynamics.
Running FASTWrapper.
Running OpenFAST.
OpenFAST input file heading:
FAST Certification Test #26: NREL 5.0 MW Baseline Wind Turbine (Onshore)

Running ElastoDyn.
Running AeroDyn.
Running BEM.
Running InflowWind.
Running ServoDyn.
Running ServoDyn Interface for Bladed Controllers.

Farm_Initialize:Farm_ValidateInput:OutFmt produces a column width of 10 instead of 14 characters.
Farm_Initialize:For efficiency, NumPlanes has been reduced to the number of time steps (134).
Farm_Initialize:T1:Farm_InitFAST:FWrap_Init:FAST_InitializeAll:SrvD_Init:BladedInterface_Init:The
dynamic library F:\OpenFAST-f-fast-farm\build\bin\TSinflow\5MW_Baseline/ServoData/DISCON_WT1.dll
could not be loaded. Check that the file exists in the specified location and that it is compiled
for 64-bit applications.

Aborting FAST.Farm.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:58 am

Dear Jiaping,

The compiled FAST.Farm Windows executable that I had sent out with the pre-release used OpenFAST v1.0. The current version of the source code on my fork of OpenFAST on GitHub uses OpenFAST v2.3. So, if you compile the current version, you'd have to change the OpenFAST input files for compatibility. The sample FAST.Farm model provided by Kelsey for Mod_AmbWind = 2 uses OpenFAST v2.3

The error you are getting regarding the DISCON DLL "could not be loaded" is likely related to an incorrect path or the use of a 32-bit DLL instead of a 64-bit DLL.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Jiaping.Cui

Postby Jiaping.Cui » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:57 am

Dear Jason,

Through your explanation, I have known some about the inner relationship, but I also want to verify that:

1.if I want to use the sample FAST.Farm model provided by Kelsey for Mod_AmbWind = 2, I need to change its OpenFAST v2.3 primary input file to the version of OpenFAST v1.0 ,then I could run the pre-release FAST.Farm. Am I right?

2.in this link---https://github.com/jjonkman/OpenFAST/tree/f/fast-farm, I use the similar method "building OpenFAST on Windows with Visual Studio" to build the FAST.Farm Windows executable. I want to know this FAST.Farm uses which version of OpenFAST ?

3.in the process of running FAST.Farm, the FAST.Farm only transfer the OpenFAST, so I merely replace the .fst file to another version of .fst file that suiting the FAST.Farm corresponding version of OpenFAST in the .fstf file, or should I do other operates ?

Best regards,

Jiaping.Cui

Return to “General”