FAST.Farm

Topics of general, but wind-related interest.

Moderator: Bonnie.Jonkman

Jundong.Wang
Organization: Ocean University of China

Re: FAST.Farm

Postby Jundong.Wang » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:17 pm

Raghu.Krishna wrote:Hi Jason,

In running Fast.Farm (compiled from the recent version on GitHub) and using Kelsey’s input files I am getting an error:

Running InflowWind.

Farm_Initialize:AWAE_Init:InflowWind_Init:InflowWind_ParseInputFileInfo:ParseSiVarDefault:ParseChVar:
>> A fatal error occurred when parsing data from “../InflowWind.dat”
>> The variable “FileName_Uni” was not found on line #17.

Aborting Fast.Farm.

Hi Jason,
Thank you for your previous suggestions. I downloaded the name "openfast-947292b79b6c676949cfac1dae4038691083ec57" from the active pull request: https://github.com/OpenFAST/openfast/pull/584. and successfully completed the compilation.
I also met the analogous problem when running the Fast.Farm(compiled from the latest version on github), and the error is:

Code: Select all

FAST.Farm-Unversioned from 947292b79b6c676949cfac1dae4038691083ec57
Compile Info:
 - Compiler: Intel(R) Fortran Compiler 2021
 - Architecture: 64 bit
 - Precision: single
 - OpenMP: Yes, number of threads: 64/64
 - Date: Feb 24 2021
 - Time: 12:11:28

Heading of the FAST.Farm input file:
   Sample FAST.Farm input file
Running AWAE.
Running InflowWind.

Farm_Initialize:Farm_ValidateInput:OutFmt produces a column width of 10 instead of 20 characters.
Farm_Initialize:AWAE_Init:InflowWind_Init:InflowWind_ParseInputFileInfo:ParseSiVarDefault:ParseChV
ar:
 >> A fatal error occurred when parsing data from ".\InflowWind.dat".
 >> The variable "VFlowAng" was not found on line #7.
InflowWind_ParseInputFileInfo:ParseSiVarDefault:ParseChVar:

Aborting FAST.Farm.

it seems that error occurred when reading data from ''.\InflowWind.dat'' , but i didn't met this problem when running the Pre-release version Fast.Farm. Any help would be appreciated in solving this issue.

Jundong.Wang
Organization: Ocean University of China

Postby Jundong.Wang » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:12 am

Jundong.Wang wrote:
Raghu.Krishna wrote:Hi Jason,

In running Fast.Farm (compiled from the recent version on GitHub) and using Kelsey’s input files I am getting an error:

Running InflowWind.

Farm_Initialize:AWAE_Init:InflowWind_Init:InflowWind_ParseInputFileInfo:ParseSiVarDefault:ParseChVar:
>> A fatal error occurred when parsing data from “../InflowWind.dat”
>> The variable “FileName_Uni” was not found on line #17.

Aborting Fast.Farm.

Hi Jason,
Thank you for your previous suggestions. I downloaded the name "openfast-947292b79b6c676949cfac1dae4038691083ec57" from the active pull request: https://github.com/OpenFAST/openfast/pull/584. and successfully completed the compilation.
I also met the analogous problem when running the Fast.Farm(compiled from the latest version on github), and the error is:

FAST.Farm-Unversioned from 947292b79b6c676949cfac1dae4038691083ec57
Compile Info:
 - Compiler: Intel(R) Fortran Compiler 2021
 - Architecture: 64 bit
 - Precision: single
 - OpenMP: Yes, number of threads: 64/64
 - Date: Feb 24 2021
 - Time: 12:11:28

Heading of the FAST.Farm input file:
   Sample FAST.Farm input file
Running AWAE.
Running InflowWind.

Farm_Initialize:Farm_ValidateInput:OutFmt produces a column width of 10 instead of 20 characters.
Farm_Initialize:AWAE_Init:InflowWind_Init:InflowWind_ParseInputFileInfo:ParseSiVarDefault:ParseChV
ar:
InflowWind_ParseInputFileInfo:ParseSiVarDefault:ParseChVar:

Aborting FAST.Farm.

it seems that error occurred when reading data from ''.\InflowWind.dat'' , but i didn't met this problem when running the Pre-release version Fast.Farm. Any help would be appreciated in solving this issue.

I think I solved the above problem by adding "VFlowAng" to the 7th line of the input file, but the same problem as Mr. Raghu occurred when I ran it again, and I don't know how to solve it, because the latest openfast guide file does not Mention this flag. Hope to get your help

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:14 am

Dear Jundong.Wang,

A similar question was asked and answered in the following forum topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2638&p=16347.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Jiaping.Cui
Organization: Shenyang University of Technology

Postby Jiaping.Cui » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:57 pm

Dear Jason,

I faced one trouble recently, when I add ten wind turbines to the FAST.Farm, it will have error as the picture.

Hoping to get your answer, and thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Jiaping.Cui
Attachments
buhuo.PNG
buhuo.PNG (17.96 KiB) Viewed 744 times

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:50 pm

Dear Jiaping.Cui,

Well, it sounds like your FAST.Farm input file is not formatted properly. Do you have 10 lines in the wind turbine table? As with any input file processing error, I suggest that you enable the Echo option to debug.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Jili.Sun
Organization: Zhejiang University

Postby Jili.Sun » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:16 pm

Jason.Jonkman wrote:Dear Bruno,

Yes, I would guess it is the operation in Region 1.5 that is causing a high tip-speed ratio and high thrust.

It would be hard to see the effect from the OpenFAST *.out file. Instead, I would output a VTK slice (e.g., a XY plane through the hub), and you'll clearly see the wake expand just before the near-wake correction error is displayed.

The improved near-wake correction model that we are working on now will resolve this problem. Until then, dropping C_NearWake is the only the solution that does not involve a source-code change.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

I am trying to simulate wind farms using a row of 3 WTs separated 5D from each other to study aerodynamic wake interaction among wind turbines. I have reduced the value of C_NearWake from the default one to 1.1 with HWindSpeed=8m/s, but wake deflection is unobservable under the noticeable yaw misalignment with 25°/40°/0°, as the figure shown below. I'm confused why wake steering doesn’t occur under yaw conditions. I would be very appreciative if you can give me any hint on why this happens.

Best regards,
Jili
Attachments
1.1.png
1.1.png (315.01 KiB) Viewed 683 times

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:07 pm

Dear Jili,

There is not really a way to disable wake deflection from turbine yawing in FAST.Farm; it is intrinsic to the calculation. I would guess that there is a small of amount of wake deflection that is occurring, it is just hard to see. You could review the wake center position outputs (WkPos#dT#D#) at various downstream distances, which when time averaged (to average out the wake meandering) should quantify the amount of wake deflection.

I also don't see much (if any) wake meandering in your simulation. Are you using DEFAULT values for the wake parameters? Is your wake plane diameter (determined by dr and NumRadii) about 3 times the diameter of the rotor?

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Jili.Sun

Postby Jili.Sun » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:37 am

Jason.Jonkman wrote:Dear Bruno,

Yes, I would guess it is the operation in Region 1.5 that is causing a high tip-speed ratio and high thrust.

It would be hard to see the effect from the OpenFAST *.out file. Instead, I would output a VTK slice (e.g., a XY plane through the hub), and you'll clearly see the wake expand just before the near-wake correction error is displayed.

The improved near-wake correction model that we are working on now will resolve this problem. Until then, dropping C_NearWake is the only the solution that does not involve a source-code change.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. During my simulation, I set dr=5.0, NumRadii=40, the rotor radius TipRad=63m, so the diameter of each wake plane, 2(NumRadii–1)dr, is about 3 times the rotor diameter. However, I did not use the DEFAULT value for C_NearWake, which is one of the wake parameters, because I would get the following error when C_NearWake= DEFAULT:

T2:FARM_UpdateStates:NearWakeCorrection:Local induction is high enough to invalidate the near-wake correction, i.e., m%a(i) >= 1.0_ReKi / p%C_NearWake.

I guess, the wake expand just before the near-wake correction error is displayed, which makes no physical sense, so I dropped the value of C_NearWake from the DEFAULT one, as discussed in the previous post. Other wake parameters are set as DEFAULT values. What confuses me is there’s no (little) wake meandering can be seen under obvious yaw conditions after the C_NearWake dropping. I wonder if you know how to explain or solve this problem.

Best Regards!
Jili

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:46 am

Dear Jili,

Those settings sound OK, except for much lower than expected value of C_NearWake. To avoid the near-wake correction error, I recommend recompiling the newest version of FAST.Farm. This version includes an improved near-wake correction model that is valid under high-thrust conditions such that you should not need to drop C_NearWake.

Regardless, I'm still not sure how to explain the small amount of wake deflection or wake meandering in your case. Again, I suggest reviewing the wake center position outputs (WkPos#dT#D#) at various downstream distances to quantify how much deflection and meandering there are.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Jiaping.Cui
Organization: Shenyang University of Technology

Postby Jiaping.Cui » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:25 pm

Dear Jason,

Rencently I runned the FAT.Farm example which has ten wind turbines in the same line, and the distance between every two turbines is 8 diameter. The wind files were produced by Turbsim and the wind speeds are 6m/s, 8m/s, 10m/s, 11.4m/s, 12m/s, 20m/s. When the wind speed was more than 10m/s, the FAST.Farm example could run normally, but the wind speed is 6m/s and 8m/s, the example can't run and will occur the problem as the picture.

In the command, the information about the T8, T9 and T10 and the error message couldn't be shown, so I can't look over the error message. I don't know this reason.

Finally, I want to know whether having a FAST.Farm example that includes the super control? And I hope to use that in my study.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Jiaping.Cui
Attachments
buhuo.PNG
the error diaplayed in command
buhuo.PNG (23.23 KiB) Viewed 654 times

Jili.Sun

Postby Jili.Sun » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:35 pm

Dear Jason,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion and explanation, which helped me a lot. I kept C_NearWake as close to the default value as possible before the near-wake correction error was displayed, and reviewed the wake center position outputs at various downstream distances. It’s more clear to quantify the amount of wake deflection according to the wake center position outputs, as you suggest. There is time-varying wake deflection that can be identified from the outputs.

The latest version of FAST.Farm may be a better choice to keep the accuracy of the wake model. Could you share the latest version of FAST.Farm with me, please?

Many thanks,
Jili

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:49 am

Dear Jiaping,

We improved FAST.Farm a while back so that wakes can exit the low-resolution domain without warnings or errors. I suggest upgrading to the newest version of FAST.Farm to avoid these warnings and errors. (The warnings/errors are getting caught off due to a character limit on the screen write.)

The most recent version of FAST.Farm is available in the active pull request, which should be merged into the dev branch of OpenFAST soon: https://github.com/OpenFAST/openfast/pull/584. Please note that upgrading to the newest version of FAST.Farm will likely require that you change the formatting of some OpenFAST input files (for compatibility with the dev branch of OpenFAST), as summarized in the OpenFAST documentation: https://openfast.readthedocs.io/en/dev/ ... hange.html.

The FAST.Farm source code in the link above now fully supports the functional super controller. And the super controller interface is documented in the draft FAST.Farm User’s Guide and Theory Manual that I’ve shared. I’ve attached a simple example—including the source code at the turbine level (DISCON_SC.f90) and the farm level (sc_dll.f90) that should further clarify how it works.

SampleSuperController.zip
Sample super controller source file and corresponding DISCON individual wind turbine controller, from Kelsey Shaler.
(9.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:50 am

Dear Jili,

I shared the link to FAST.Farm in my previous post to Jiaping.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Ruiliang.Wang
Organization: YANSHAN UNIVERSITY

Postby Ruiliang.Wang » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:24 am

Dear Jason,
Thank you for your time!
I have two question.
first,I 'm using the FAST.FARM to simulation the demo (three turbines), I set the Mod_AmbWind to 2 ,wind flie is 90m_08mps.bts ,At the beginning of simulation ,it works well, but at 144 of400s ,the error happened.like below:[img]
fastfarmerror.png
[/img]
secondly,when i complie the fast.farm, the error shows belows

>======================================================================
4>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.0.0.117 [Intel(R) 64]...
4>SuperController_Types.f90
4>ifort: command line warning #10161: unrecognized source type 'farm\OpenFAST-f-fast-farm\OpenFAST-f-fast-farm\vs-build\FAST-farm\\..\gitVersionInfo.h''; object file assumed
4>ifort: error #10273: Fatal error in E:\PROGRA~1\INTELS~1\COMPIL~1\windows\bin\intel64\fortcom, terminated by 0xc0000005
4>FASTWrapper_Types.f90
4>ifort: command line warning #10161: unrecognized source type 'farm\OpenFAST-f-fast-farm\OpenFAST-f-fast-farm\vs-build\FAST-farm\\..\gitVersionInfo.h''; object file assumed
4>ifort: error #10273: Fatal error in E:\PROGRA~1\INTELS~1\COMPIL~1\windows\bin\intel64\fortcom, terminated by 0xc0000005
4>AWAE_Types.f90
4>WakeDynamics_Types.f90
4>SuperController.f90
4>FASTWrapper.f90
4>FAST_Farm_Types.f90
4>FAST_Farm_IO.f90
4>WakeDynamics.f90
4>AWAE_IO.f90
4>AWAE.f90
4>FAST_Farm_Subs.f90
4>FAST_Farm.f90
4>
4>Build log written to  "file://G:\fast%20farm\OpenFAST-f-fast-farm\OpenFAST-f-fast-farm\vs-build\FAST-farm\x64\Release\BuildLog.htm"
4>FAST-Farm - 13 error(s), 13 warning(s)
========== 全部重新生成: 成功 3 个,失败 1 个,跳过 0 个 ==========

I do not know how to solve the problems.Hope your reply .
Best regard!
Attachments
fastfarmerror.png
fastfarmerror.png (34.91 KiB) Viewed 568 times

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:51 am

Dear Ruiliang,

Your first error has been discussed before and will be resolved by compiling the updated FAST.Farm source code.

Regarding the second error, it looks like you have a space in your path name that is causing some trouble for the FAST.Farm Visual Studio solution. There should be double quotes around the preprocessor directive specifying the path to gitVersionInfo.h. I've fixed this in the pull request #584 (and my branch) if you'd like to get that updated code.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Return to “General”