FAST.Farm

Topics of general, but wind-related interest.

Moderator: Bonnie.Jonkman

Krishnaveni.Balakrishnan
Organization: University of Massachusetts

Re: FAST.Farm

Postby Krishnaveni.Balakrishnan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:41 pm

Dear Dr.Jonkman,

Thank you for your swift response. The only difference between both the runs were; while running onshore turbines I have used the default executables and .dat files which came along with the FAST.Farm package. While running for the offshore turbines I have used the OpenFAST executables from this repository https://github.com/OpenFAST/r-test.NREL 5MW OC4 semisubmersible files from the r-test master folder without any changes.

Correct me if I am doing any mistake.I will enable the echo option and try running it again.

Thanks
Krishnaveni

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:21 pm

Dear Krishnaveni,

The FAST.Farm executable and examples were based on an older version of OpenFAST. The master branch of the r-test applies to the most recent version of OpenFAST. You'll have to recompile FAST.Farm (using the most up-to-date source code from the FAST.Farm pull request: https://github.com/OpenFAST/openfast/pull/584) if you wish to use OpenFAST models from the r-test. Alternatively, if you want to keep using the old FAST.Farm executable, you'll have to use an older version of the r-test OpenFAST models. But I'd recommend compiling the newest version of FAST.Farm.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer | National Wind Technology Center (NWTC)

National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
+1 (303) 384 – 7026 | Fax: +1 (303) 384 – 6901
nwtc.nrel.gov

Krishnaveni.Balakrishnan

Postby Krishnaveni.Balakrishnan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Thank you Dr.Jonkman. For now I will use the older version of r-test with the default FAST.Farm executables.Let me see if I am successful in running it.

Thanks
Krishnaveni

Jiaping.Cui
Organization: Shenyang University of Technology

Postby Jiaping.Cui » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:01 am

Dear Jason,

Do you have the specific floating platform size about the Spar, Semi and TLP loaded on the 5MW NREL wind turbine. And better having the size about Monopile RF, Tripod and OC4 Jacket Configuration on offshore turbine.

Best regards in advance,
Jiaping.Cui

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:54 am

Dear Jiaping.Cui,

I'm not sure I understand your question. The size of the various offshore substructures are defined in their corresponding OpenFAST input files and in their specification documents.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Raghu.Krishna
Organization: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Postby Raghu.Krishna » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:51 pm

Hi Jason,

In running Fast.Farm (compiled from the recent version on GitHub) and using Kelsey’s input files I am getting an error:

Running InflowWind.

Farm_Initialize:AWAE_Init:InflowWind_Init:InflowWind_ParseInputFileInfo:ParseSiVarDefault:ParseChVar:
>> A fatal error occurred when parsing data from “../InflowWind.dat”
>> The variable “FileName_Uni” was not found on line #17.

Aborting Fast.Farm.

I am using Turbsim binary file (Windtype =3) in the InflowWind.dat file. There is the standard filename entered in the Windtype 2 row, which I didn’t mess with. Any help would be appreciated in solving this issue.

Can I also get a copy of the Fast Farm manual and a version of the code that you’ve been sending to folks on the forum (assuming its a bit different than what’s on GitHub?). Thanks.

Raghu.

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 am

Dear Raghu,

The version of FAST.Farm on github is the newest version. It is in the process of being reviewed in preparation for being merged into the dev branch of OpenFAST soon. I'll send you the most up-to-date FAST.Farm documentation, which is also being reviewed before publication soon.

The error you are receiving seems to point to a formatting problem in your InflowWind input file. As with any such problem, I would enable the Echo option in InflowWind to debug.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Krishnaveni.Balakrishnan

Postby Krishnaveni.Balakrishnan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:08 am

Dear Dr.Jonkman,

I am trying to run FAST.Farm with OpenFAST v1.0 5MW files. Earlier I was able to run it for 100s but then when I try to run for more time. I get the following error message.

FAST_Farm_error.png
FAST_Farm_error.png (326.81 KiB) Viewed 632 times

I have not changed the default turbine spacing as in the .fstf file. ANy insights on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Krishnaveni

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:25 am

Dear Krishnaveni,

This error could be caused with the old near-wake correction model of FAST.Farm when running a wind turbine in a high thrust condition (C_T > 24/25). In the most recent version of FAST.Farm available in the pull request (https://github.com/OpenFAST/openfast/pull/584), we've introduced an improved near-wake correction model that is valid for both low- and high thrust conditions. So, upgrading to the most recent version should solve the problem.

Alternatively, you could change your set up to avoid simulating under high thrust conditions. Considering that you are receiving this error 174 s into the simulation for the the 3rd turbine (T3), I would guess the error is triggered when wakes from an upstream turbine are impinging on a downstream wind turbine. Reducing the rotor speed on the 3rd turbine (resulting in a lower TSR and lower thrust) could solve the problem as well.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Krishnaveni.Balakrishnan

Postby Krishnaveni.Balakrishnan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 pm

Thank you Dr.Jonkman for your swift response. I have downloaded the updated version and while building solution in VS I get the following mitigation report

mititgation report.jpg
mititgation report.jpg (144.11 KiB) Viewed 623 times

I am using VS2015 community edition and Intel FORTRAN compiler 2017. Also I have been successful earlier with these combo to build solutions for openFAST v2.3 and v2.4. Not sure why suddenly they became incompatible.

Otherwise I was able to successfully run for a case(a little longer now 500s) in which the turbines are parked and feathered (all of the turbines were pitched 90deg and rotspeed zero) with ambient wind.

Thanks
Krishnaveni

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Dear Krishnaveni,

This error sounds like Fortran is not installed properly. Perhaps you upgraded or reinstalled something since you last compiled OpenFAST? Can you still compile OpenFAST?

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Jundong.Wang
Organization: Ocean University of China

Postby Jundong.Wang » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:07 pm

Dear Jason,

I tried to download FAST.Farm according to the latest FARM guide file, but I did not find the corresponding file in Open-fast, i mean the file FAST-Farm.sln. Would you please share the latest or pre-release version of the FAST.Farm software package just as others requested earlier?

And i wanna know that after I compiled fast.sln through VS and IFM,has OpenFast been fully installed? Do I need to compile the same sln files of other corresponding files (submodules)?

微信图片_20210222110333.png
微信图片_20210222110333.png (129.11 KiB) Viewed 601 times

Best Regards,
Jundong.Wang

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:07 am

Dear Judong.Wang,

The FAST.Farm Visual Studio solution, FAST-Farm.sln, is included in the vs-build/FAST-farm directory of the branch of OpenFAST available in the active pull request: https://github.com/OpenFAST/openfast/pull/584. Once you download this branch of OpenFAST, you can compile FAST.Farm with this solution file. No other compilation is necessary.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Krishnaveni.Balakrishnan

Postby Krishnaveni.Balakrishnan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:00 pm

Dear Dr.Jonkman,

You were right earlier I wasn't able to compile now even though I was able to do it earlier. I was using VS community edition 2015 and Intel Fortran compiler 2017 edition. I tried to uninstall and reinstall both several times but unable to compile the same files which I did before.

As the error now seems to be related to the compiler. I am trying to download another version of it but unable to locate the file.

Would you recommend a compatible version of the compiler and the link to download it from.All my search leads to Intel API toolkit link.

Thanks
Krishnaveni

Jason.Jonkman

Postby Jason.Jonkman » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:32 pm

Dear Krishnaveni,

Well, the newest versions of Visual Studio and the Intel Fortran compiler are currently available here:

Visual Studio: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/
Intel Fortran compiler: https://software.intel.com/content/www/ ... nload.html

If you have installation related questions for these, I would ask Intel technical support.

Best regards,
Jason Jonkman, Ph.D.

nwtc.nrel.gov

Return to “General”